Rail pass help 2 weeks Wengen & itinerary ideas

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 18:11:26 #811222

Hello there:

This August I’m celebrating a “big” birthday and want to enjoy a relaxed hiking vacation in Switzerland. I have rented a chalet in Wengen for 2 weeks and invited friends to come and stay – most will be staying for one week while a few of us will stay in Wengen the entire time. The plan is to fill our days with day hikes & excursions, depending on mood and weather. The group is active & we’ve already accumulated a good list of hikes & excursions. Most will be flying in/out of Zurich.

Question: Does it make sense to buy the 15-day Swiss Rail pass or just buy as we go? I don’t have a sense of whether we’d use the pass nearly everyday or not.

Also, besides the hikes in the Bernese Oberland area, are there some day-long excursions (Bern, Lucerne, etc) that we should be considering? I think we will concentrate on hiking in the environs of Wengen but are looking for other places to go for the day as long as we get up early and get going.

Thanks so much!

• The thread ‘Rail pass help 2 weeks Wengen & itinerary ideas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.