Rail pass needed? Best scenic train routes? (NOOB)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2016 at 23:31:15 #810496

Hi!

I am considering passing through Switzerland October Friday 27th – Saturday 28th 2017.

I am using the SBB app to map out a potential Intenary.

▪Arrive Friday from

London – Zurich HB – Lucern

(any Lucern friday night activities?)

▪Saturday Morning:

Train from

Lucern – Interlaken Ost – Spiez – Zweisimemen – Montreux – Geneva

Last Train from Geneva back to London.

END

Is this possible?

1- Do I need a pass for such a Short time (2 days)

2- These “Trains” pass through scenic alps and villages??? Or do i need to take “Special cog Trains”?

3- Do trains run on SATURDAYS? At half price?

4 – Do tickets need to be bought in advance or can be purchased at every stop?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 December 2016 at 23:57:09 #857663

Hi debonairdas-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps –

That is a short trip, but a scenic one. The trip from Spiez to Zweisimmen and Montreux follows the best part of the Golden Pass route, and all of the route will keep you looking out the window.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Whether you need a rail pass is something that the moderators…Arno or Annika… can best answer.

With some passes you need to buy tickets; with others, you do not.

Reservations are not needed, and you can buy in advance or on the spot at any station. Just not on the trains anymore.

Trains run 365 days per year, except in leap years, when they run 366 days per year. No special discounts for Saturday; service may be altered slightly on weekends.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 January 2017 at 1:16:50 #857664

What does NOOB mean?

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 January 2017 at 10:00:49 #857665

Hi debonairdas,

If you need a pass, the Swiss Half Fare Card is your best bet. It gets you 50% off of all tickets. But you do not need it if the traveling you described is all you have planned to do (so no expensive cableways, etc.). In that case you basically just make a one way trip, and you can buy a ticket for each day of traveling. Whether you buy tickets in advance or on the spot does not matter much price wise. You’ll save some time buying in advance as you can immediately board your train.

Will you travel from and to London by train? If so, those tickets should be purchased in advance (see here). And you do not need to travel to Lucerne via Zurich in that case. You can save time by changing trains in Basel and go straight to Lucerne from there.

Our Lucerne page is worth a look. There won’t be many activities in the evening. A stroll through the Old Town can be done (guided or on your own), and perhaps there’s a one hour boat trip in the evening.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 23:26:04 #857666

Thanks Slowpoke and Arno!

Btw NOOB is a western informal word for “new” “inexperienced person”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2017 at 9:17:07 #857667

Yes, its short for or pronounced like Newbie sometimes 🙂

• The thread ‘Rail pass needed? Best scenic train routes? (NOOB)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.