Print at home rail pass questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2016 at 11:45:58 #808859

Hi…I just want to clarify some things.

1. If I travel from Zurich airport to Wengen using the Swiss travel pass its free while if I use the Swiss half fare card its 50% off?
    2. Also it says ” print at home for Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card “. Does this mean that the printed copy which I’ll do at home is already the pass one will use or do you need to exchange the printed copy in Switzerland?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2016 at 12:38:30 #850550

Hi ciotime,

1. Yes, correct.
    2. You can print the actual pass at home. So in case of the Swiss Travel Pass that means you don’t need anything else and you can board the first available train from the airport. The delivery method to receive the pass through e-mail is called “Online Ticket”. Please see http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. More purchase options.are on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/price.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2016 at 15:04:53 #850551

Thanks again Arno for the help. Follow up questions about the tickets. Do I need to reserve online or just buy at the station? From what Ive read so far its a bit conflicting. Some say that there are certain stations that are not ” manned “…is this true? Also if say one needs to change trains for example 3 times does this mean you need to validate your ticket 3 times also or just on the initial train? Just to give you guys an idea Ive listed below my travel plans.

Day 1: Zurich airport to Wengen

Day 2: Wengen to Jungfraujoch then back to Wengen

Day 3: Wengen to Trummelbach falls then to Thun Bahnhof then back to Wengen

Day 4: Wengen to Zurich

Day 5: Zurich to Luzern to Mount Titlis ( day trip ) then back to Zurich

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2016 at 16:11:45 #850552

Hi ciotime,

There are lots of small unmanned train stations where you can buy tickets from the machines (you can do so at staffed station too). All places you mentioned have staffed stations.

Which pass will you buy? With a Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need tickets so you just travel around as you wish. Only cable cars and mountain trains require a ticket. With a Swiss Half Fare Card you need tickets for each trip. You simply buy a ticket from A to B (and back to A if you wish) for a specific date. Where or how often you change trains is not relevant.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2016 at 16:20:27 #850553

Thanks…do you think I should get the Swiss travel pass or the Swiss half pass? Im leaning towards getting the Half fare pass plus I dont mind buying tickets on each trip.

Annika
    7125 posts
    10 April 2016 at 7:15:35 #850554

Hi ciotime!

A Swiss Half Fare Card indeed seems to make most sense in your case. They’re available as e-tickets through the website mentioned by Arno: http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2016 at 8:53:19 #850555

Thanks!!!

• The thread ‘Print at home rail pass questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.