Best rail pass to Jungfraujoch (using car mostly)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 13:47:23 #811056

Hello,

Please need advice on WHICH rail pass to buy. In July. We hired a car for our time in Switzerland and will be traveling to Interlaken to go to Jungfraujoch. Is parking at the station there expensive? And which rail pass should we buy, because I’ve read it is cheaper if you have a rail pass. Does it make sense to buy a rail pass traveling by car? Should we rather travel that day from “home” with a rail pass and leave the car?

Thank you

Erika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 19:24:55 #860031

Hi Erika,

Yes, it makes much more sense in Switzerland to travel by train wherever possible and parking is very expensive but if you do then you can park at Interlaken Ost, Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen.

If you are traveling mostly by car on your trip, than a Swiss Half Fare Card may make the most sense – giving you 50% all train trips in Switzerland.

Alternatively a Swiss Travel Pass is the most popular for tourists, but may not make financial sense if you keep the car rental for your trip.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 4:38:16 #860032

Thank you so much, Lucas……second time you helped me. And I’m still googling and planning…..so wont be the last…… 🙂 And this really made the traveling clear to me since there is SO many passes and rails etc. etc etc. I think once I’ve been there, it wont be all Greek to me (or in this case….all Swiss).

Have a great day

E

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 13:08:02 #860033

Hallo,

Also just need some input if we only have one day to Lucerne/Interlaken region which one of the following do you know/recommend. Titlis or Pilatus or Mittelellelin. Ive read Jungfraujoch is quite expensive, but if you say much much more worth….then we’ll rather do Jungfraujoch. I have kidz 15 and 18. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 14:24:01 #860034

Hi Erika,

No worries, I agree the rail passes here are overwhelming!

Really hard to say about those mountain choices! If you are only here once I say Jungfraujoch I think (haven’t been there yet!).
    My wife and I promised each other we would go to Jungfraujoch before we ever left Switzerland but we aren’t in a rush due to the cost – but we will go!

Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus are very popular and I plan on going to one in May when a friend comes to visit so ask me again in late May! I haven’t heard much about Mittelallalin other than what is here and that it is out of your way to get to on this trip perhaps.

For myself, I’m leaning to Titlis – my Swiss friends say Pilatus is best in the winter, Mt. Rigi in the summer and the Jungfraujoch and Titlis are great year-round.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 17:50:58 #860035

Thanx again Lucas.

Like to ask if you know anything about Glacier 3000?

And if we choose Jungfraujoch, we don’t have to pass to Lucern….but we can. Should you say we should do it? Or rather take more time where we at?

Thanx. Is there a limit to the amount of questions?????????????

Should I start a new post with the right thread/subject concerning the question?

E

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 8:26:50 #860036

Hi Erika,

You can continue posting here of course! If you have a specific question please go ahead and start a new thread if you like. No limits really! 🙂

I don’t have any personal knowledge on the Glacier 3000, no – other members do however. Perhaps starting a new thread with a few questions on this topic may be a good idea).

The cities I like the most in Switzerland are Luzern, Bern and Montreux. If you have time and want to have a few hours in a proper and pretty Swiss town (they aren’t proper large cities but they aren’t small alpine villages either) I would choose one of those 3.

Regards,
    Lucas

Annika
    7125 posts
    15 March 2017 at 16:21:00 #860037

Hi Erika,

Glacier3000 is certainly pretty. You’ll get there by two impressive cable car rides and you’ll be able to enjoy a roundabout view of the Alps, including the southern range. However, it’s definitely not close to either Lucerne or Interlaken. The same goes for Mittelallalin, which is all the way south near Saas-Fee. So If I were you I’d focus on the many beautiful mountain tops in the Lucerne region and Bernese Oberland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 17:24:33 #860038

Thank you Annika, will have a look at the links.

• The thread ‘Best rail pass to Jungfraujoch (using car mostly)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.