Rail ticket lines in Switzerland in September?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 0:52:09 #813222

Wondering if anyone knows what the train ticket lines are like in September in Lucerne, Grindelwald and at the airport Zurich Thanks so much all

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 13:47:09 #869645

Hi NJfam,

I’m afraid there’s no way to know that. It is not peak season anymore so its not as busy as the July/August.

Waiting lines at the train office can be anywhere from 5 minutes to maybe 45 minutes depending on how many people are there. There are also ticket machines you can use (maybe just a few minutes to wait if it is busy) if you are buying point to point tickets and don’t need a rail pass etc.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 13:08:07 #869646

Thank you Lucas. I am thinking of buying half pass so I still have to buy tickets as point to point correct Also if I buy Swiss pass I can opt for email print and carry from the MySwissalps site – I would not need to do anything else correct ?

Thank you very much for all your feedback

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 September 2017 at 20:51:46 #869647

Hi NJfam,

Did you mean the Swiss Travel Pass when you wrote “Swiss pass”? If so, then yes, you can print it at home, just like the Swiss Half Fare Card. Please visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and click to the pass you prefer. Then fill out the number of passengers and the first travel date. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days, but often within hours. All you need to do is print it, and you’ll be ready to board the trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 0:02:05 #869648

Thanks Arno. Wanted purchase the ticket but maybe too let for online option. We will be there September 17. How can I purchase the Swiss rail pass at the airport ? Thank you for your response

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 15:57:35 #869649

Hi Njfam,

You can still buy either the rail pass online. It will get emailed to you in 3 business days at the latest (often within hours of purchase though). You can use the links from Arno above.

If you don’t buy them online you can go to the Swiss railways office (SBB) at the airport and buy them there as well. It is just more convenient to have them bought online so you can print at home and then just hop on the first train at the airport (no lines!)

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 17:07:55 #869650

Hi Lucas is there a chance the Swiss pass would run out at the Zurich airport ; also what would the price be if bought at the airport I am afraid to get it online incase I do not get it in 3 days as the site says 7 days

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 17:35:07 #869651

No, they can’t run out of rail passes – only seats on trains!

The pricing will be the about same wherever you buy it. Online prices fluctuate a little depending on exchange rates and the company itself. You can find prices listed here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Rail ticket lines in Switzerland in September?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.