Recommended pass for short trip Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2016 at 8:04:47 #808252

Hi, I plan to visit Bernese Oberland area in the first week of May. Interlaken will be my base and I only have a few days. My itinerary as follow:

Day 1 : Arrive in Basel in the morning from Colmar, France. Go to Interlaken , explore Lake Brienz and possibly go to Brienzer Rothorn

Day 2 : Explore Jungfaujoh and surrounding village such as Murren, Grindelwald, Lautterbrunnen.

Day 3 : Visit Harder Kulm in the morning, go to Milan by train in the afternoon.

Which pass work best for my plan? and is it possible do popular hiking route such as Grütschalp – Mürren in early May?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    9 January 2016 at 13:46:37 #847580

Hello mitahalim, and welcome to our forum!

There are two options you can consider: the Swiss Half Fare Card, allowing you to buy 50% discount for all trips in Switzerland, and the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass. This one’s more convenient, as all regular train trips are fully covered and you won’t have to buy additional tickets. This goes for the boat trip over Lake Brienz as well. You’ll only have to buy discounted ticket for mountain visits, like the Jungfraujoch. If you want to compare both passes price wise, please follow the instructions at our page on picking the right pass.

Both passes are valid up to the Swiss/Italian border (depending on your connection, the exact train station will most probably be Domdossola), so you’ll need a ticket Domodossola-Milan too.

Please note that the Brienzer Rothorn Bahn usually opens in mid-May, so if you’ll be visiting in the first week, you’d probably have to skip this. Mürren-Grütschalp may very well be open, but this can’t be predicted yet. You’d best consult the local tourist office once you’re there. If it’s not accessible, the Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg hike down at the valley floor is a great scenic alternative.

I hope this helps you out!

• The thread ‘Recommended pass for short trip Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.