Regional Berner Oberland Pass for 13-days trip?

• Bloubul
    Participant
    1 post
    24 June 2022 at 3:05:23 #827585

We are visiting the region for 13 days and only this region in Switzerland. We have been to Top of Europe before and that excursion is not important to us. We will be staying Grindelwald, Interlaken and Murren. Any suggestions on a 13 day pass combination. We will probably cover all excursions in 10 days and use the last 3 days just to chill and then back to airport. I see there is a big difference in full and reduced fare for 10 day pass. Arriving and departing Zurich.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6279 posts
    24 June 2022 at 7:58:44 #943534

Hi Bloubul,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

I think getting the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is a sensible option. Purchase options are available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/price. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card, you can buy the RPBO at a reduced price. For a 10-day pass I think the difference between a regular and reduced price is CHF140.

Based on your plans, you might benefit from getting a Swiss Half Fare Card (CHF120) in addition to the RPBO if you want to save from paying full-fare tickets for journeys not covered by the RPBO. For example, from Zurich to Bern or Zurich to Lucerne and back, depending on which connection you take to get to/from to Grindelwald. Also, you’ll pay only half-price for tickets and excursions in case you plan additional trips outside of the region.

If you want to be sure if this combination gives you the best value. it’s best to have a detailed itinerary and do the math, as explained here: how to choose the best railpass

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Aschollmb
    Participant
    3 posts
    24 June 2022 at 16:23:25 #943535

Hi Anna,

A bit off-topic but kind of related. Headed to the BO next week for some hiking per Kim’s trip report. I printed it off and am taking it with us.

I think that the BO 3 or 4 day rail pass would be the best option. Would that rail pass give us any discounts on the Zurich-Wengen train ticket price? OR do you think a different option would be better due to the Zurich-Wengen round trip (plus 3.5 days in the BO)?

Thanks. Rail passes are overwhelming and I know I could plan a really detailed itinerary and do the math, but I’m also pregnant and want my itinerary to be more flexible since I’m not sure how much hiking I’ll really be able to do each day and don’t want to feel pressured to do a certain amount in order to “the the best bang for my buck” on the rail pass. Thanks!

Anna
    6279 posts
    24 June 2022 at 17:51:56 #943536

Hi Aschollmb,

If you are travelling to Wengen from Zurich via Bern, the portion from Bern to Wengen is free with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland. You need point-to-point ticket for the journey between Zurich and Bern.

You can find more information about point-to-point tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Regional Berner Oberland Pass for 13-days trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.