Regional-Pass Berner Oberland 1 week Lauterbrunnen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2014 at 12:13:49 #806395

We are staying in Lauterbrunnen for one week, flying in from Zurich. We plan to hike 3-4 days, day trip to Bern, maybe the Lakes area, and, weather permitting, the Jungfraujoch. I am trying to decide if it makes sense to buy the regional pass. I’ve run through a couple of sample itineraries, but since I don’t know what hikes we’ll be taking due to weather, I can’t tell if it it would be cost effective to buy a half fare card and then buy tickets as we go, or buy the regional pass as well. Last night I thought it might make sense to buy a regular ticket from Zurich to Luzern, and then use a 6 day regional pass for the balance. Last day out take a one way from Lauterbrunnen to the airport. Any thoughts? I’m a tax attorney by training and the decision process for these passes has brought me to my knees!!!

Leaving this Friday!!!Thanks for any thoughts.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    27 May 2014 at 14:08:36 #840076

Hi curlygrrrl,

Yes, it can be quite a challenge to choose. This page should help. Did you already check that out? The key is to first have a detailed itinerary, then do the math. But you are right that the weather may dictate what the options are. However, you will probably still travel in bad weather, just to different locations. A boat trip can still be enjoyable in light rain, for example.

Anyway, a Swiss Half Fare Card works out about CHF 80 per person cheaper if you just take the trip to and from Lauterbrunnen, Jungfraujoch and Bern into account. However, if you add more trips (boats, cable cars), the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is becoming more attractive. In the end, it’s a choice between the fixed price of the Regional-Pass which includes almost everything, and the Swiss Half Fare Card and pay as you go. See the links for more pass details.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2014 at 15:13:34 #840077

I think my biggest challenge at this point is not having a crystal ball. 😉

I think I’ll do a full fare round trip to Luzern, and use the 8 day regional pass from there on, I very much like the idea of not fussing with tickets for each ride.

Your website is extremely helpful, I hope I will be able to access it whilst in Switzerland. Thank you very much for your prompt response.

Arno
    15482 posts
    27 May 2014 at 16:26:03 #840078

Our website works on tablets and phones too, so if you have a wifi signal or mobile internet it should work fine. Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2014 at 19:14:24 #840079

Trip report: purchased full fare round trip from Zurich to Lucerne and then used an 8 day Berner Oberland regional pass for our week. Although I think we about broke even between buying a half fare card and paying as we went versus the Berner Oberland Regional pass, it was extremely easy and relaxing to just “flash the pass” as we took rail, cogwheel trains, buses, boats, gondolas, and cable cars. Not fussing with buying tickets was especially appreciated when we were running to make a connection.

Arno
    15482 posts
    19 June 2014 at 9:29:06 #840080

Hi curlygrrrl,

Thanks for reporting back! Good to hear that you liked the convenience of the pass. You may win some of your money back by submitting a trip report as explained here 🙂

• The thread ‘Regional-Pass Berner Oberland 1 week Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.