• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 4:59:39 #812414

Hello All,

We are travelling to Switzerland from 21st to 26th September 2017

We are planning for below travel itinery

Will reach Paris on 19th and will leave Paris on 21st to Switzerland

Planning to have Base location of Zug/Lucerne and from there will do day trips to day 1 titlis, day 2 Zurich Rhyne falls, day 3 To pilatus and then back to Zug/Lucern.

Ftom there planning to go to Interlaken and stay there and do jungfrau day trip, and then from there either back to Paris to Zurich to catch flight back to our destination.

Want your assistance to plan this travel better and to understand if there are any changes needed. Like which train to catch, where to stay to use the days well, rail pass, Swiss pass

Rregards

Abhijit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 June 2017 at 15:19:48 #865804

Hi Abhijit, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think your plan looks fine, assuming that you will stay 3 days in Interlaken too. That will give you some flexibility weather wise, because you need good weather to fully enjoy the Jungfraujoch trip. This applies to Pilatus and Titlis too by the way.

You may want to check out the Jungfrau region page to examine all towns in the Jungfrau region before you commit to staying in Interlaken.

If you can prevent backtracking to Paris that would be ideal. From Paris to Switzerland you can travel by TGV Lyria train.

Train schedules can be found in the timetable. The 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is probably your best option. You can also consider the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 18:45:23 #865805

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your response, i was not aware of the route and other logistics, hence i booked Paris return flight form my starting place in India as it was coming cheap.

As mentioned by you, you are suggesting not to go back to Paris to catch a flight, instead take a flight from Zurich to my home location, this may be difficult as airline tickets are already booked to and from Paris.

Eurail pass if i buy online would it work? as TGV trains i have to purchase tickets any way and that too reservations in advance, which would come to 500 Euros. But if i dont buy pass and just purchase tickets then would it work out cheaper? Please suggest. As changing airline ticket to Zurich and going back to Paris would come to same cost(extra loss as i have booked last day at paris near airport)

Looking forward for guidance

Regards,

Abhijit

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 June 2017 at 19:28:46 #865806

Hi Abhijit,

I made that suggestion as it probably would have saved you a lot of time, so more sightseeing time in Switzerland left. But as the airline tickets are already booked I suggest to book the tickets from Paris to Basel (Swiss border) and back as soon as possible to get the lowest prices. Please see here for booking options.

I do not suggest the Eurail Select Pass. The cheap regular tickets from/to Paris plus a pass specifically for Switzerland (see my previous post) give you more benefits.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 20:33:48 #865807

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much, yes it did help great deal. The ticket booking links which you have given all accept international cards? Or All websites legit?

Regards

Abhijit

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 June 2017 at 5:41:42 #865808

Hi Abhijit,

We only list legitimate credible retailers, no worries. All of them accept credit cards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 21:10:10 #865809

Hi Arno,

This is our itinery, looking for suggestions to utilize time better

21st Sept Reach to Lucerne by 12PM and roam around in the city and if possible Lucerne lake boat ride

22nd Sept Mount Titlis

23rd Sept If possible will cover both Rigi and Pilatus or Will Cover Rhine Falls in Zurich(Which is better option)

24th Lucerne to Wilderswill, Lake Thun and Lake Brienz if possible

25th Sept Jungfraouh

26th Sept Either Go to Zurich and then take train to Paris from Zurich or Take Direct train from Bern to paris

Do you see any modifications or adjustments that can be done to utilise time better, and i have booked point to point ticket from Paris to Lucernce, now have to decide weather i take Swiss full pass or Half price pass based on above itinerly

Please suggest the best possible thing

Regards,

Abhijit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 21:11:03 #865810

Hi Arno,

Also if we can cover any additional places by tweaking itinery a bit then please suggest

Regards,

Abhijit

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 June 2017 at 20:35:11 #865811

Hi Abhijit,

If I had to choose between Rigi/Pilatus and the Rhine Falls I’d choose one of the mountains. But it depends on the weather too. For the mountains you need clear skies.

There is no need to travel via Zurich to Paris. Either take the direct train from Bern as you proposed, or take a train to Basel and switch to Paris there. Those options are quicker.

Rigi and Pilatus and both free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Still it’s best to do the math and to compare to the Swiss Half Fare Card. That’s the only way to be sure about the cheapest option.

I would not add more places. Your itinerary is quite full, but doable. Adding more would mean rushing from place to place. Take your time and enjoy 🙂

• The thread ‘Planning 6 days Lucerne/Zug & Interlaken in Sept’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.