Reservation confirmed. Should I buy tickets now?

• Chrisjaybee
    Participant
    2 posts
    12 February 2016 at 9:10:48 #808411

I have made seat reservations for both Glacier and Bernina Express trains at the start of April. Do I need to now buy tickets online or can I buy the tickets at the point of departure i.e. Tirano and St Moritz ??

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 February 2016 at 9:20:35 #848401

Hi Chrisjaybee, welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can buy your tickets either online or at any staffed station in Switzerland. But actually, if you travel this much it’s more likely that a rail pass is a better choice than regular tickets. Please see here and here.

Chrisjaybee
    Participant
    2 posts
    12 February 2016 at 9:24:30 #848402

Thanks Arno. I will only be doing both Express trains plus one trip Andermatt-Luzern return. I did my sums and did not think that a Swiss travel card would make much difference

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 February 2016 at 9:48:44 #848403

Hi Chrisjaybee,

Perhaps I didn’t fully understand your plans. I am assuming the full Glacier Express ride St. Moritz to Zermatt and no cable cars. Even then this would cost CHF 256.40. You could save about CHF 10 with a Swiss Half Fare Card, and more with a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Travel Pass Flex. But, you know your plans best so if you’re sure about the math then it’s all fine. The links in my previous post help you to verify.

Enjoy the rides!

• The thread ‘Reservation confirmed. Should I buy tickets now?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.