Reserving GoldenPass VIP seats with Eurail Pass

• TravisL
    Participant
    23 posts
    10 September 2022 at 20:47:13 #828310

Hi,

Me and my parents plan to take the Golder Pass train between Interlaken and Montreux on Dec 15, 2022.

I want them to experience the VIP seat at the front of the train between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

We each have the 1st Class EURail pass so my understanding is we only need the seat reservation. Is this correct?

My question is:

1. How far in advance can I make the reservation? Is this the correct site? shop.mob.ch/en/goldenpass-panoramic-vip
    2. How do I tell which train will have the VIP seat available?
    3. Do I need to make a separate reservation for the Interlaken to Zweisimmen section?

All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2022 at 23:22:32 #946677

Firstly, please ensure you refer to the Golden Pass (not Golder Pass)

The carriages with VIP seats only exist on the original ‘Golden Pass’ which is the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux, but note that from 12 December 2022, the new Goldenpass Express through train starts running: mob.ch/gpx/?lang=en

The situation with VIP seats has been discussed many times on this forum, the most recent which has your answers see here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/goldenrail-vip-mob-site

journey.mob.ch/en/products/vip-seats

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 September 2022 at 6:19:03 #946678

Hi TravisL, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Wonderful that you and your parents will be making a ride in the GoldenPass train. It’s very scenic.

Yes, your 1st class Eurail Global Pass will cover the ride: https://www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass/validity. For normal seats, reservations are optional and not required. Reservation for VIP seats is required, but their availability is very limited at the moment. So are reservation options. You can refer the VIP seat information at http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/tickets for details.

The website you mentioned theoretically is the correct one to make VIP reservations. But you’ll notice there are only weekend options and that you can’t reserve any earlier than 10 days ahead. Even within the 10-day timeframe you may run into the problem that no connections are available through this online system. Your best bet is to visit a manned desk at one of the railway stations once you’re in Switzerland, and then inquire if VIP seats for the next weekend are available.

The situation may be different on December 15. As 1960man mentioned, there will be 1 new “GoldenPass Expess” connection each day between Interlaken and Montreux. It’s not clear yet whether this replaces the few trains with VIP seats. You can read about it under “From December 11 2022: the GoldenPass Express, Interlaken-Montreux” at http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass.

More suggestions for you December trip can be found at https://www.myswissalps.com/winter.

Let us know if you have further questions, we’re happy to help!

TravisL
    Participant
    23 posts
    11 September 2022 at 15:44:13 #946679

@1960man, @Arno, Sorry about the typo and thanks for the information!

Since Dec 15 is not a weekend, it doesn’t look like we will be able to take the train with VIP seat. I will keep checking when we are closer to the departure date.

I did see on their website about the Goldenpass Express train starting in the winter but doesn’t look like the reservation is open yet. Do you have any information on when the reservation can be made and if the 1st Class EURail pass work on Prestige class on this train or only work on 1st Class?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2022 at 0:03:52 #946680

Unfortunately train reservations get a little complicated around the time of the annual European railway timetable change, as operating companies and transport authorities work hard to make sure that the timetable changes will all work well and the change go smoothly. As such planning now for a train journey just a few days into the new 2023 timetable period is not as easy as it could be. It’s something one just has to live with.

Anna
    6382 posts
    12 September 2022 at 6:55:12 #946681

Hi TravisL,

The Golden Pass Prestige class will be introduced for the first time in December 2022. If you have a 1st class ticket, you might need to pay a surcharge to upgrade to Prestige class. At the moment we don’t have much details about this but we’ll update our information as soon as we find out more.

Regards,

Anna

TravisL
    Participant
    23 posts
    13 September 2022 at 11:41:49 #946682

Hi 1960man, Anna,

Thanks for the reply!

I didn’t know they adjust their timetable at the end of the year. I will keep checking their website for the latest information!

Thanks!

TravisL

• The thread ‘Reserving GoldenPass VIP seats with Eurail Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.