Restaurants that we shouldnt miss -local dishes

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Bellevue163
Bellevue163
24 posts
Apr 27, 2019 - 10:30 PM

Going in mid September, starting at Lucerne, Wengen, Zermatt, Appenzell and finally Zurich. Wanted to hear what are some good restaurants you would advise not missing and possibly a local meal or two they specialize in.

Thanks for help

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6430 posts
expert
Apr 27, 2019 - 11:35 PM in reply to Bellevue163

www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/hiking-and-aescher-cliff-restaurant.html

Search the internet for comments on "Berggasthaus Aescher"

What price range or level of "luxury" or not?

Slowpoke

Steph
Steph
1624 posts
top member &
Apr 28, 2019 - 7:47 AM in reply to Bellevue163

Hello Beelvue163,

Tasting local food is also always very important to me when traveling, as it is a large part of each culture.

Check out this link for general information as well as culinary tours:
- www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/culture history/food
- www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/culinarytours

There are local dishes in each corner of Switzerland. Some that I can spontaneously think of:

Zurich:
Zürich Geschnetzeltes (veal meat-and-mushroom-cream sauce served with Rösti (potatoes)
Tirggel, a hard, sweet honey-biscuit, very local to Zurich

Lucerne:
Apfelkrapfen, a apple pie typical for Lucerne

The classical Swiss dishes are Fondue and Raclette, both including lots of cheese, so you need to like that.

For me one of the best dishes - ÄLPLER MAGRONEN, alpine pasta, with potatoes, cheese, cream, onions, etc., served with apple sauce. Yummy…

I just recently heard of the Swiss Snack Box, a very nice idea to offer local food to visitors:
- www.myswitzerland.com/ en/die-grand-tour-snack-box.html

Hope this gives you the input required.

Get back to us for any further input.

Best,
Steph

paddington
paddington
272 posts
top member
Apr 28, 2019 - 8:57 AM

Kim has written an indepth review of Wengen including restaurants. Restaurants are very subjective, though.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6430 posts
expert
Apr 28, 2019 - 8:59 AM in reply to Bellevue163

Hi Bellevue 163-

Steph wrote:

<<"Zürich Geschnetzeltes (veal meat-and-mushroom-cream sauce served with Rösti (potatoes)">>

Sometimes abbreviated Züri Geschnetzeltes, they can be found at many restaurants throughout Switzerland. Some versions are rather uninspired.

The best versions that I have had in Zürich were at the Kronenhalle- very high end restaurant - and Restaurant Neumarkt, at Neumarkt in or near the Niederdorf. Also quite good at Drei Stuben-

dreistuben.ch/

which serves other traditional Swiss food.

The version at the Zeughauskeller is pretty good. They will offer it with their potato salad, which is good. It is absolutely traditional to serve "Zuri geschnätslets" ( dialect) with Rösti. So, Zeughauskeller is violating that standard, and, to make amends, if you ask for Rösti you can get them. I find their Rösti to be lacking in flavor...perhaps cooked too quickly with some potato starch added for crispness.

The Rösti at Neumarkt are fine and are excellent at Drei Stuben..

Please check this thread for some Zürich ideas:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/afternoon-in-zurich#kmoSh6DW9mqS6v8 AAFcRTQ

You will find a place near Bellevue. ;-)

We've mentioned Rösti. To an American, that is "hash browns" but the Swiss have raised that common food to a high art, as in Butterrösti. They are served in many ways ...plain, which I prefer... and with all kinds of add-ons.

Several types of lake fish are served throughout Switzerland, especially at lake shore restaurants.

One that I particulary like is Eglifilets" - small filets of perch, best prepared meuniere. You will commonly find them in "im Batterteig" - breaded.. and deep fried. That kind usually come from a source outside Switzerland and are absolutely worth avoiding. In fact, it is extremely rare to fnd Eglifilets that actually come form Switzerland. Poland and Iceland are common sources. They can be quite good., but the real thing from Switzerland is worth a premium, if you are at a high quality place that you know to be reliable.

Near Zürich, and at a few other places not far from there, you will find a very local white wine called Räuschling. Rather acidic for a Swiss wine, and goes particularly well with Eglifilets meuniere.

Cheese dishes -

Raclette and Fondues are common. Also in the parts of France near Switzerland.

In Zürich, the very popular restaurant Swiss Chuchi at the Hotel Adler serves a large variety of Fondues and Raclette.

www.hotel-adler.ch/index.php/de/ restaurant

They even serve Capuns, a food from the mountainous regions of Kanton Graubünden. I've not developed a taste for them, but they are certainly "Swiss" ;-)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Capuns

www.helvetickitchen.co m/recipes/2017/4/24/ca puns

In Luzern, a local specialty is Luzerner Pastetli. In dialect, Lozärner Chögelipastete.

Foer a bunch of pictures, do a serch with Google for Luzerner Pastetli.

The dish is particularly well done at the Restaurant Schiff, beside the river under the arches, or on ground floor and balcony.

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Luzerner_Ch%C3%BCgelip astete

www.gaultmillau.ch/sta rchefs/schiff-luzerns-beste-bratwurst-pastetli

Many kinds of meat can be used. The version at the Schiff uses Kalbsvoressen ( the first stomach of a calf) and includes saffron. Sweetbreads ( "Kalbsmilch") are sometimes used.

In Wengen, Hotel Schönegg has a well known gourmet kitchen... and is not cheap.

Here is some other information, including restaurants, about Wengen:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

On the Rigi, not far from Luzern, I'll be trying this one this year:

www.kraeuterhotel.ch/i ndex.php/de/restaurant s

That's a start.

Give us some idea of your price sensitivity.

Bellevue163
Bellevue163
24 posts
Apr 28, 2019 - 10:43 AM

I want to thank you all very much, all I can say is im going on a diet now ,cause eveyone one of these dishes is a hit. Ill print up a list and match it to their menus. Time to get the comfy pants...

Bellevue163
Bellevue163
24 posts
Apr 28, 2019 - 10:57 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Talk about restaurant with a view, Thanks

Bellevue163
Bellevue163
24 posts
Apr 28, 2019 - 11:01 AM in reply to paddington

I printed out Kims info awhile back, its like a college thesis, thanks again.

Arno
Arno
13842 posts
expert &
Apr 28, 2019 - 4:45 PM

Note that Berggasthaus Äscher was closed last year: www.thelocal.ch/201808 21/how-switzerlands-iconic-scher-restaurant-became-a-victim-of-its-own-success. I heard it might re-open but I don't have details. Hopefully this coming summer.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6430 posts
expert
Apr 28, 2019 - 8:01 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks-

Had heard that it was getting overused, but I did not know that they were closed.

Slowpoke

Bellevue163
Bellevue163
24 posts
Apr 28, 2019 - 8:08 PM

Thanks again to all, this forum/Website heads over trip advisor for info.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6430 posts
expert
Apr 28, 2019 - 8:36 PM in reply to Bellevue163

You're quite welcome. However, I'd say that your comment qualifies as " damning with faint praise," in my humble opinion. ;-)

Seriously, glad that you find it useful and helpful. If you have any ideas for improvement, there is a thread running right now on ideas to improve the site and the Forum.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/suggestions-to-improve-myswissalpscom

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019