Rhine Falls & Chur-Davos scenic railway in Oct

• Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    5 September 2019 at 15:37:42 #823754

Hi

I have planned the following railway journeys for the last day of our stay in the Switzerland in late October.The focus of the initial part is on the Rhine falls while in the latter part it is the Chur-Davos panoramic railway line.I appreciate the opinion of experts as to its doability/suggestions and help for clarifying some questions.I have used SBB for timetables.

(visiting Rhine falls from Schaffhausen -7.00-9.00)

Schaffhausen-Zurich 9.17-9.55

1 hr break

Zurich-Landquart 11.12-12.32

Landquart-Davos platz 12.47-13.57

Davos-Chur 14.31-16.03

1hr break

Chur-Sargans 17.01-17.21

I will be taking the train to Innsbruck from Sargans at 17.35.

Is there any viewpoint of the bridge at a walking distance from Filisur station?Will it be worth skipping Chur visit and spending more time over there?

Even if the Glazier express is not available,is late October fine for making Chur-Davos railway leg in normal trains?

I will have STP.I think the above route is completely covered by STP?

I will have to take that particular train to Innsbruck as I have already bought the necessary tickets.Is 10 minutes too risky for that connection?Or is it fine to totally rely on the punctuality of the swiss railways?

As the train to Innsbruck starts in Zurich will it have no vacant seats left when it reaches Sargans?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2019 at 23:21:09 #921777

My comments on your questions

1) Chur – Davos is not referred to as a ‘panoramic railway line’. It is just another railway in the Swiss Alps, part of the network of railways in the region – all of which are scenic. It is certain special trains that are referred to as ‘Panoramic’: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain.

2) The Glacier (not Glazier) Express doesn’t run on the Davos line: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/gettingth ere. You don’t need it anyway – all the normal trains have large windows.

3) It is about 20 – 30 minutes walk from Filisur station to the Landwasser Viaduct (some hills and paths involved)

4) Just as interesting as the Landwasser is the Wiesen Viaduct at Davos – Wiesen

5) Any time of the year is perfectly as good as any other in the Swiss Alps – weather can be good or poor all 365 days: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather.

6) It is your choice regarding boarding at Sargans. The connection would normally work fine but you may wish to add extra time for your own peace of mind. The train will probably have seats available but again, you never can tell definitively. You should be able to reserve a seat from Sargans (train RJX367)

7) STP covers all main line Swiss railways routes so yes you are fine: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    9 September 2019 at 9:31:18 #921778

thanks for your comments and replies.I should have used “scenic railway”instead of “panoramic!If I am starting from Landquart and move toward Chur via Davos, which side of the train gives better views?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2019 at 23:18:21 #921779

Landquart – Chur – Davos is a long way in a local context, so there will be good views on both sides in most places. Regarding the Wiesen and Landwasser viaducts, you don’t see the Wiesen viaduct from the train but there is a nice walk across the bridge if you stop over for 1 hour at Davos Wiesen. The Landwasser is curved so you can see it from the train (sit on the left if travelling Filisur – Chur). If you catch a train formed of RhB railway’s ‘Alvra’ trainsets there is a photographers’ compartment with opening windows, but you need to be in it immediately as the train only takes 2 minutes to reach the Landwasser

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    12 September 2019 at 8:40:34 #921780

Thank you for the information!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 23:09:30 #921781

Just to continue banging the gong for the Wiesen viaduct:

It is actually taller than the Landwasser Viaduct

It actually crosses the same river (the Landwasser river)

It is arguably a more interesting bridge technically and architecturally

It has one of the longest stone masonry arches of any bridge worldwide

It is slightly less cliched as a tourist site than the Landwasser viaduct

The way to ‘do’ the viaduct is as follows:

1) get off your Filisur-bound train at Davos-Wiesen

2) walk across the bridge and follow the path to the viewing area

3) wait for the train you just got off to return from Filisur towards Davos,

4) photograph the viaduct with that train crossing it

5) walk back to Wiesen station and catch the next train to Filisur

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    13 September 2019 at 9:53:56 #921783

Thanks a lot for all the information and your valuable tips!By following your advice I think we”ll be able to get the most out of our stay in any part of Switzerland!

Mageo
    Participant
    63 posts
    14 September 2019 at 4:08:28 #921784

Thanks 1960man, for the info re.the Wiesen Viaduct, will put it on our list! Mageo

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2019 at 0:45:11 #921785

Thanks for the shout outs folks.

My wife and I actually reached the viewing area before reaching Wiesen station last year as we walked from Filisur (nice path but steep in places) and it was quite hot weather

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    18 September 2019 at 15:18:54 #921786

We are also considering the possibility of taking the following legs of ‘panoramic ‘ railway routes from Zurich instead of Chur-Davos one.

1.Arth-Goldau to St Gallen (Voralpen express)

2.Fluelen to Andermatt (Gothard express)

How can you compare the scenic nature and highlights of these two rail routes?Do you think that it is worth selecting one of these two instead of Chur-Davos route and if so which one would you recommend more?

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2019 at 17:13:18 #921787

Hi Xmistral99,

You can read a trip report about the Voralpen Express at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/st-gallen-voralpen-express-from-zurich. This can be helpful too: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/voralpen-express-a-lesser-known-scenic-train

Read this concerning the Gotthard Panorama Express: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ gettingthere.

I also suggest you to look for images on Google regarding the 2 panoramic routes. I might help you a bit to decide.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2019 at 23:48:08 #921788

Voralpen Express is in the ‘pre-Alps’ (vor = before or pre) so is not spectacular high mountains but is what might be described as ‘pleasantly scenic’ (but the latter statement applies to nearly all Swiss railways.

Gotthard Panorama is not Fluelen – Andermatt but Fluelen – Göschenen. But that is the Gotthard ‘north ramp’ and I have a ‘standard’ comment (see below) on this posted many times before.

Göschenen – Andermatt is a famous gorge and is interesting but very short. Once at Andermatt you are in the middle of the so-called Glacier Express route (which would be a separate discussion)

Gotthard Panorama Express – a personal view

This is ‘take it or leave it’ advice:

Personally I am sceptical of the attraction of the Gotthard Panorama Express. It is an attempt to keep some tourism going on the Gotthard ‘mountain route’ since the rest of the fast trains now go through the base tunnel. However, you see mainly valleys not high mountains, and you get quite a few good views of the competing motorway (highway)… Also it is reservation obligatory and first class only.

Also, the train gets rather lonely – part of the ‘romance’ of the Gotthard route previously was that your train competed for space on the line with huge long international long-distance trains carrying 000s of passengers a day between northern and southern Europe, and those passenger trains interacted and weaved in between dozens of heavy freight trains lumbering back and forth across the Alps.

The curiosity was seeing another train high above you one minute then a few minutes later passing by your train on the same level, then perhaps seeing it again below you a few minutes after that. It is this that no longer happens as there are so few trains left on the line.

(It could also be argued that it is just a way of finding a use for very expensive panorama cars that Swiss Federal Railways bought but don’t have now have any other use for them…)!

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    22 September 2019 at 12:38:26 #921789

Thanks for the replies and links!Now I think it is better to stick to my original plan:Chur-Davos route.

1960 man your detailed reply and comments confirmed what I was thinking about these alternatives and thus made it easy for me take the decision.

As suggested If I go to the Davos Wiesen viewing platform in the afternoon( 14.00-14.15) do you think that lighting conditions will be fine to take that epic shot of the viaduct with the train?Or if I try Filisur Landwasser viaduct during same times from Filisur viewpoint will lighting conditions be better?Any idea?I thought to ask this because someone has commented about this lighting issue on google maps.

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 September 2019 at 10:37:58 #921790

Hi Xmistral99,

I recommend to use an app so you can see the position of the sun wherever you go for any date and time. I am using this one: play.google.com/store/ apps/details?id=jp.gr.java_conf.sir anet.sunshine&hl=en. From the top of my mind both viaducts are best between 12:00 and 15:00 for trains from the north.

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    30 September 2019 at 9:12:37 #921791

Thanks for the suggestion Arno!I’d check it out.

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    2 October 2019 at 6:17:08 #921792

One more clarification please:when I search Davos Platz to Davos Wiesen on Sbb site, it indicates ” stop on request”at Davos Wiesen. I wonder how we should indicate that we need to get down at Davos Wiesen if there is nobody to get into the train from there. Any suggestion?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2019 at 12:17:46 #921793

Hi Xmistral99,

I haven’t done this route yet, but last time when it was a similar situation there were stop-buttons on the train (similar to city buses). I think you can expect something like that. Have a nice holiday!

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    5 October 2019 at 14:44:58 #921794

Thanks Ildiko!

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    8 October 2019 at 2:58:05 #921795

Hi experts!

Before proceeding with Zurich-Chur rail journey we have allocated 1 hour for Rhine falls visit.Before this thread gets closed I thought to clarify few doubts:

We intend to arrive at Neuhausen am Rheinfall at around 07.50 am.Then we plan to walk toward Schlossli Worth.After spending little time on the viewing platform we intend to walk back toward Neuhausen along the river bank and thereafter across the bridge to Schloss Laufen Am Rheinfall and (if time permits) visit the Southern platform and take the train to Zurich at 8.50 am.(We have not considered the option of a boat ride across the river as they do not seem to be in operation before 09.00 am)

Do you think that it is doable?Will we be able to have access to the viewing platform at both banks before 9.00 am?And normally how long it takes to walk from Schlossli worth to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall?
    Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2019 at 10:17:54 #921796

Hello Xmistral99,

Yes, you should without problems be able to access both parts of the Rhinefalls before 9 am and see the place within an hour. .Of course it won’t allow you to spend more extensive time at the place.

On the Schloss Laufen side there are turnstiles but as far as I remember they have ticketing machines which you can use all day.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Rhine Falls & Chur-Davos scenic railway in Oct’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.