Rhine falls & Stein am Rhein day trip from Zurich

• Malou
    Participant
    33 posts
    24 March 2019 at 18:35:57 #820576

We are arriving in June and plan to do a day trip to Rhine falls and Stein am Rein. If we finish early on this day trip, do you have any suggestions of where else or what else we can go or do? We’re based in Zurich but we already planned to go around Zurich the first day we arrive and plan the above day trip the following day. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 5:30:02 #907474

Hi Malou,

I see you’re getting along with your itinerary. Nice!

Regarding the Rhinefalls and Stein am Rhein day trip, you could for example stop in Schaffhausen, Switzerland northern most city on the way from the Rhinefalls to Stein am Rhein. The Fort Munot is Schaffhausen’s land mark and well worth a visit, as is the city itself.

You can also book a tour from Zurich combining the Rhinefalls, Stein am Rhein and a Zurich City tour or one going to the Rhinefalls and the Black Forest in Germany. Check this link for details:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls/packages

To find out about train times from and to your planned destinations, use our timetable link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The Rhinefalls can be reached on ether side, so either search to and from “Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall” or “Neuhausen Rheinfall”, which are the stops on each side of the waterfall, and crossing is possible by boat.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Steph

Malou
    Participant
    33 posts
    25 March 2019 at 9:08:31 #907475

Thank you Steph for your reply. So many things to see, so little time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 10:00:43 #907476

That’s life..the most important thing is to really take in whatever you end up visiting…my opinion! 🙂

Enjoy your trip!

Kind regards,
    Steph

Malou
    Participant
    33 posts
    25 March 2019 at 13:21:45 #907477

Totally agree! And I would be happy with any decisions we will eventually make as long as I know I’ve planned well. So I hope you won’t get tired answering my questions as I will have more while our trip is getting closer. Thanks so much for your help! 😊

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    25 March 2019 at 22:32:26 #907478

Hello Malou,

I’m so happy to see that you are going to make a day trip to the Rheinfall and Stein am Rhein. If you get off your train at Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall, it is a super quick walk to the Schloss itself. Admission is only CHF 5 and here is what this entitles you to (copy/paste from their website): “Get your key to the Rhine Falls here. Obtain a single ticket for all attractions. fascinating stories in the Historama, a leisurely stroll along the Belvedere panoramic trail, the viewing platforms above the crashing waterfalls and the wonderful view of the region offered from the glass panoramic lift.” This is quite frankly one of the best deals you will get in Switzerland for such a low price. You can board one of the boats that move around in the churning waters, stop at the Felsen, the rock in the middle of the falls which you can climb, and then continue by boat to the Schlössli Wörth on the other side of the river. From there you can walk up to the other train station, Neuhausen Rheinfall, and then make your way by train up the river to Stein am Rhein. Just recently I attached a map of the Rheinfall area on another thread, and will attach it here if I can find it. Please note that tickets for the boat rides can be bought only at the landing stations of either Schloss Laufen or Schlössli Wörth. The bigger crowds are at the latter dock. I suspect the folks at Schloss Laufen refer to the small castle as Schlössli so people will know which one is bigger. 😉 In Switzerland the suffix -li denotes the diminutive, like hüsli for a little house, or schlössli for a small castle, or Peterli for a young boy named Peter. 😉 There are surnames and other Swiss words that also end with -li, perhaps a good example to mention being the Birchermüesli. Make sure you try one of them !

I recall a while back a very informative (with super photographs) contribution about Stein am Rhein, done by Lucas, who was until recently a moderator of MySwissAlps. I’m sure you would enjoy looking at it if you haven’t already done so.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2019 at 0:29:16 #907479

Everyone has different ideas of what is good to see.

I find St. Gall worth some time, if for nothing else than the abbey library:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/st-gall-aka-sankt-gallen-and-good-bratwurst

http://www.atlasobscura.com/p laces/abbey-library-of-saint-gall-2

Slowpoke

Malou
    Participant
    33 posts
    26 March 2019 at 12:16:32 #907480

Thank you all so much for the inputs and education on how to make our trip a memorable one for our family. You guys are awesome!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 15:22:59 #907481

Here the link to Luca’s trip report inlc. fantastic photos that Peterli mentions!

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/stein-am-rhein-easy-day-trip-from-zurich

Enjoy!

Steph

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    26 March 2019 at 16:29:36 #907482

Hello Steph,

How did you find Lucas’ report ? I searched for quite a while and then figured that it was a discontinued thread.

Malou
    Participant
    33 posts
    26 March 2019 at 16:57:23 #907483

This is amazing! Love it!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 20:03:13 #907484

Hello Peterli,

I had the same problem as you!!! I KNEW it was there but couldn’t find it….hrrrrmpf

I finally found it thanks to a fabulous hint by Master Arno – google the thread!

So I googled “Stein am Rhein trip report lucas” and THERE IS WAS! 🙂

Best,
    Steph

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    26 March 2019 at 21:44:42 #907485

Aha ! So even when a thread has been closed, it can still be found if one has a pretty good idea of what it’s title was. Just for fun, I’m going to see if I can find a few threads that I started and which were later closed.

Yes, that’s all it takes. I googled a thread I started on November 3, 2018 about the Migros M-Budget Room in the Hotel Säntispark in Abtwil (St. Gallen) that was closed (not the hotel, just the thread) later that same month (November 21) and presto !, up it came. The last post to that thread was on November 6, so I guess after about two weeks of inactivity, a thread is closed.

Now if Master Arno would only make it so that if one adds the wrong attachment, the person making the post can delete it and then add the intended one ! That would make me a very happy camper.

• The thread ‘Rhine falls & Stein am Rhein day trip from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.