Rome to Interlaken by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 16:08:39 #809915

Hi All

I will be travelling from Rome to Interlaken. Plan to stay 4 nigths in interlaken and then depart from Zurich. Which train ticket or pass will suit me best.

First question is: for exploring interlaken will a half fare card be better or should i get a swiss pass. Swiss pass for 4 days would mean i would not be able to use it either at the start or at the end of the trip.

For Rome to interlaken ticket I went to sbb.ch website it offers rome to interlaken ticket for two at 310 CHF if i select “Half fare” discount option. If i select “GA 1.cl, 1 year / GA subscription” it offers the same for 248CHF. Does “GA 1.cl, 1 year / GA subscription” mean swiss pass? Can i select this option if i get a 4 day swiss pass.

Regards

Farooq

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    17 August 2016 at 16:53:33 #855218

Hi Farooq, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You do not need a Swiss Pass. That’s a product for Swiss residents. You need a Swiss Travel Pass. Whether a Swiss Half Fare Card is better or even another pass depends on your travel plans. You can list them and do the math as explained here.

The SBB website is basically for Swiss residents. It does not list the tourist passes, although GA is identical to the Swiss Travel Pass and that selection should work for Italy. But, if you will have a Swiss Travel Pass, you only need tickets from Rome to the border (Domodossola) as the pass covers the rest of the trip. You can buy those tickets from the websites listed here. Prices at http://www.captaintrain.com, for example, start at just € 100 for two, which is much cheaper than what you quoted. But you will have to check for your travel date and time. Booking early usually gets you the best fares.

Be sure to buy your Swiss Travel Pass online as well to prevent loosing time at the border: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2016 at 13:45:49 #855219

Many Thanks Arno for the quick reply.

1. So basically swiss pass will cover journey from Domodossola upto interlakin? although domodossola is in italy.

2. From domodossola which train should i take? does the train go directly to interlaken or via spiez?

Again many thanks for the help.

Arno
    15482 posts
    18 August 2016 at 14:35:26 #855220

You’re welcome Farooq!

1. Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass (not Swiss Pass) will cover that part of the trip.

2. Almost all trains continue to Brig (Switzerland), so there’s no need to get off in Domodossola. You can check the timetable for all details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 10:23:52 #855221

Okay so i should get the ticket from rome to domodossola or from rome to brig?

thanks

Arno
    15482 posts
    19 August 2016 at 12:58:47 #855222

Just to Domodossola is fine. Your pass covers the rest.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 14:21:16 #855223

Thanks arno, will buy the ticket from rome to domodosala, but a seeking a few clarifications

– do i get off at domodosala or at brig

– from there i just get on the next available SBB train to interlaken?

regards

Arno
    15482 posts
    19 August 2016 at 15:49:55 #855224

This has already been answered in my Aug 18, 2:35 PM post: you just stay seated and change trains in Brig, or Spiez if the train stops there too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 16:35:46 #855225

Many Thanks Arno, really appreciate your prompt and detailed help and apologies for asking trivial details since our plan has been made in a hurry on short notice and its first time we will use trains in Europe.

We intend to travel on 25th August to Rome and from there on 28th morning depart for interlaken. I have read on a page on this forum that if we purchase swiss travel pass online it needs to be shipped to our location. I am not sure i have enough time to receive shipment before we depart on 25th.

Can we purchase 4 day swiss travel pass from Rome itself? Will it cost more than the online one?

Thanks again for your prompt help as time is tight for us.

Regards

Arno
    15482 posts
    19 August 2016 at 18:45:19 #855226

You’re most welcome, no problem! Swiss Travel Passes do not need to be shipped. You can print it at home. Processing orders takes 1-3 business days. My recommendation is to order through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en this weekend. That should get you the e-mail with the pass no later than August 24. But even if you would receive it later you can still access your e-mail from your hotel in Rome and ask the staff to print it for you. The printed pass is ready for travel immediately. You don’t need to do anything else.

I suppose it should be possible to buy a pass in Rome somewhere, but I don’t know where and I don’t know prices. It won’t be cheaper than buying online though. Printing it yourself is more convenient and quicker. Also you’ll have an electronic copy in case you loose the pass. That’s an extra benefit.

• The thread ‘Rome to Interlaken by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.