Saver Day Pass: Basel-Lauterbrunnen-Wengen-Gruyère

• Kay123
    Participant
    3 posts
    1 August 2022 at 19:07:35 #827945

Hello, I am travelling to Switzerland on September for two days only. I was wondering if it is ideal to buy the Swiss Saver Day Pass to visit from Basel to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen to Gruyere on the same day. Would there be any additional costs to trains and/or buses or would this route be covered by the pass? I checked the map, and it seems like the red line covers all four areas, meaning I wouldn’t have to pay additional for transport.

Also, as a non-resident, would I purchase the Saver Day Pass without the Half Fare travel card?

I await your response. Thank you kindly!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    1 August 2022 at 20:10:27 #945035

Hi Kay123,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, the Saver Day Pass is available for purchase to non-residents and without a Swiss Half Fare Card. The pass is valid for a day on your planned route (Basel – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen – Gruyeres). However if you are planning any mountain excursion, be aware that you might need to pay full-price for mountain transportation such as cable cars and gondolas, as mountain transportation is not included in the Saver Day Pass. You can find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/howtouse

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2022 at 20:57:31 #945036

The saver day pass is a simple concept. It acts as a ‘day travel pass’ aka ‘rover ticket’ on the whole of the ‘core’ network of Swiss travel system, ie all regular ‘day to day’ trains, trams, buses, lake boats.

It would be useful to know where you live, so that I can give you a comparison from your home country.

The Saver Day Pass used to be a perk available only to Half Fare Card holders but is now available to all comers (although Half Fare Card holders can get a discount rate)

Kay123
    Participant
    3 posts
    2 August 2022 at 0:16:26 #945037

Anna, thank you so much for confirming that the saver day pass is valid for my day trip! Yes, I understand the mountain excursions would be extra, but in terms of getting around Switzerland from Basel to Gruyere with a stop in Lauterbrunnen/Wengen, this seemed like the cheapest option.

Thanks again, you have been a great help.

K

Kay123
    Participant
    3 posts
    2 August 2022 at 0:21:03 #945038

Hi 1960man,

Thanks for the information! I wasn’t sure what the core network or GA area encompassed, so I was confused as to what the day pass would cover. I think I understand it a but better now. I am coming from France.

Thank goodness the day pass is open to all comers now, it benefits me 🙂

Thanks again!

K

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 August 2022 at 8:23:13 #945039

Hi Kay!

Please note that the Half-Fare Travelcard is something different than the Swiss Half Fare Card. The Half-Fare Travelcard is a product primarily for Swiss residents. You don’t need that as a tourist. The Swiss Half Fare Card is meant for tourists: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard.

As for Saver Day Passes: you can simply get full-fare Saver Day Passes. You can get discounted ones if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card: https://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price. A Swiss Half Fare Card could be worth it if you plan mountain trips that are not covered by the Saver Day Pass. But that doesn’t same to be the case for you, correct?

• The thread ‘Saver Day Pass: Basel-Lauterbrunnen-Wengen-Gruyère’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.