About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum SBB Half Fare Travelcard with friends
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

SBB Half Fare Travelcard with friends

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
chandupanch
chandupanch
2 posts
Jun 29, 2022 - 8:23 AM

Hello,

We are a family of 4 (two adults and 11yr and 15yr old) are planning to travel to Switzerland end of July from USA.

I see the following promo for day pass for friends where it costs $40/adult with half fare card. Is this offer limited only for Switzerland residents or can we also avail the promo.

www.sbb.ch/en/campaign/friends.html

Thanks

Chandra

1960man
1960man
4386 posts
expert
Jun 29, 2022 - 10:57 AM in reply to chandupanch

The key sentence in the SBB blurb is here:

There’s only one condition: all passengers must either hold a valid Half Fare Travelcard or be aged under 16 on the day of travel.

Note that anyone can possess a Swiss half fare card. I have had one for around 20 years now and have never been resident in Switzerland.

Last modified on Jun 29, 2022 - 11:00 AM by 1960man
Ildiko
Ildiko
2515 posts
expert &
Jun 29, 2022 - 3:25 PM in reply to chandupanch

Hi Chandra and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

There are 2 types of half fare card:

• Swiss Half Fare Card: valid for 1 month, usually for tourists
  • Half Fare Travelcard: valid for at least 1 year, it is more for the Swiss residents, but you can also have one if you have a SwissPass (note, it is not the same as the Swiss Travel Pass)
  • Read more about the differences here: www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/details

For the SBB promotion you linked, you need the Half Fare Travelcard, it is not valid with the Swiss Half Fare Card.

I can recommend you the Swiss Half Fare Card + Saver Day Pass. If you buy the Saver Day Pass well in advance you can save money. Learn more: www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price.

If you have a Swiss Half Fare Card or a Swiss Travel Pass you can get the Swiss Family Card for your children (under the age of 15.99). Your children will travel for free with the Swiss Family Card: www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard.

We have a great calculation spreadsheet, use that to calculate your costs: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

Take care,

Ildiko

chandupanch
chandupanch
2 posts
Jun 30, 2022 - 1:22 AM

Thanks a lot for the quick reply 1960man and Ildiko

Saver Day Pass (with Half Fare Card) for our days of travel is around 49 CHF.

Few more questions:

1. We have reservation for July 25th on Glacier Express 1st Class. If I buy Saver Day Pass 1st Class online/app, do I need to anything before boarding the train or just go ahead sit in our seats.

2. Is this 1month Half fare card valid for 50% discount at Top-of-the-Europe Pass, Zermatt glacier paradise and Grindelwald?

Thanks

Chandra

Ildiko
Ildiko
2515 posts
expert &
Jun 30, 2022 - 6:38 AM in reply to chandupanch

Hi Chandra,

1. For the Glacier Express you need to have a seat reservation and a ticket or a valid pass. If both are for the 1st class, you can travel 1st class. So in brief, yes, you are sorted out. :) You can buy your Saver Day Pass here: www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price.

2. Yes, it is valid for those mountains too. For the details, please check the validity map and list: www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/validity.

Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022