SBB trains have outlets to charge phones? & WiFi?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Fritzrab
Fritzrab
33 posts
Nov 20, 2017 - 11:17 PM

Do SBB trains have outlets to charge phones? and wifi?

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Nov 21, 2017 - 3:45 AM in reply to Fritzrab

There is no free wi-fi on trains, but some stations offer free wi-fi:

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/internet

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/products/free -wifi.html

As far as I know, power outlets are only available in first-class carriages on routes which offer business-zone carriages. You would need a first-class ticket of course.

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/on-the-train/on-board-service.html

Something else to note is that Swiss power outlets are different from those in neighbouring countries. There is relevant information in the following threads.

www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/swissoutlet

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/power-adapter-in-interlakenzuric

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/uk-adaptor-converter

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/power-adapter

Alpenrose

Last modified on Nov 26, 2017 - 2:31 PM by Arno
rockoyster
rockoyster
4282 posts
expert
Nov 21, 2017 - 4:34 AM in reply to Fritzrab

Like Alpenrose says Fritzrab, there is no wi-fi on Swiss trains but there is wi-fi at many SBB stations. www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/products/free -wifi.html

Note: In order to use it you have to register. You can only complete the one-off registration procedure (valid for 12 months) with a mobile phone number that can receive text messages.

I used a Salt Prepay SIM which I used on the trains and found to be very economical and quick. Great in conjunction with the SBB mobile app for looking up timetables.

Attached is a powerpoint (Swiss top, German below) on the Gotthard Panorama Express. I don't recall seeing any other power points although only other times I travelled 1st Class was on Bernina Express and Glacier Express.

Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
10261 posts
expert &
Nov 21, 2017 - 7:32 AM in reply to Fritzrab

I'm sure I've noticed the odd outlet while in 2nd class trains here, but extremely rare (may not have been a Swiss train come to think of it!).

WiFi is coming slowly but surely but not yet.

A great option for WiFi service that works anywhere in Switzerland is the Traveler's WiFi device.I've used it and its been great - and multiple people can connect to the device at one time.

Fritzrab
Fritzrab
33 posts
Nov 21, 2017 - 3:46 PM in reply to Removed user

Thank you. I just assumed the Swiss power outlets were the same 2-prong as in Italy & France. Thank for the heads up.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019