SBB trains have outlets to charge phones? & WiFi?

SBB trains have outlets to charge phones? & WiFi?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Fritzrab
Fritzrab
33 posts
Nov 20, 2017 - 11:17 PM

Do SBB trains have outlets to charge phones? and wifi?

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2257 posts
top member
Nov 21, 2017 - 3:45 AM in reply to Fritzrab

There is no free wi-fi on trains, but some stations offer free wi-fi:

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/internet

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/products/free -wifi.html

As far as I know, power outlets are only available in first-class carriages on routes which offer business-zone carriages. You would need a first-class ticket of course.

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/on-the-train/on-board-service.html

Something else to note is that Swiss power outlets are different from those in neighbouring countries. There is relevant information in the following threads.

www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/swissoutlet

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/power-adapter-in-interlakenzuric

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/uk-adaptor-converter

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/power-adapter

Alpenrose

rockoyster
rockoyster
3580 posts
expert
Nov 21, 2017 - 4:34 AM in reply to Fritzrab

Like Alpenrose says Fritzrab, there is no wi-fi on Swiss trains but there is wi-fi at many SBB stations. www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/products/free -wifi.html

Note: In order to use it you have to register. You can only complete the one-off registration procedure (valid for 12 months) with a mobile phone number that can receive text messages.

I used a Salt Prepay SIM which I used on the trains and found to be very economical and quick. Great in conjunction with the SBB mobile app for looking up timetables.

Attached is a powerpoint (Swiss top, German below) on the Gotthard Panorama Express. I don't recall seeing any other power points although only other times I travelled 1st Class was on Bernina Express and Glacier Express.

Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Nov 21, 2017 - 7:32 AM in reply to Fritzrab

I'm sure I've noticed the odd outlet while in 2nd class trains here, but extremely rare (may not have been a Swiss train come to think of it!).

WiFi is coming slowly but surely but not yet.

A great option for WiFi service that works anywhere in Switzerland is the Traveler's WiFi device.I've used it and its been great - and multiple people can connect to the device at one time.

Fritzrab
Fritzrab
33 posts
Nov 21, 2017 - 3:46 PM in reply to Alpenrose666

Thank you. I just assumed the Swiss power outlets were the same 2-prong as in Italy & France. Thank for the heads up.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018