Seat reservations on Swiss panoramic trains issues

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 3:05:45 #820839

I just bought a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass, but what ever site I try to use (SBB, this site, raileurope, Bernina Express) purchase just a SEAT RESERVATION wants me to buy a ticket as well.

HELP!

Bob F

Carlsbad, CA USA

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2019 at 3:11:46 #908720

Hello Swellguy and Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Make reservations at shop.rhb.ch/en/catalog /product/view/id/18 (if that’s the Panoramic Express you mean). Once you have selected the journey and your preferred seating the next screen will ask you to fill in passenger details. As part of that process you should see a box to enter the reduction/deduction you are claiming. One of the choices is Swiss Travel Pass. Choose that and you will pay for seat reservation only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 4:41:07 #908721

I thought I had aleady tried that and they would not offer an option for the Swiss Travel Pass as a discount off the price of the ticket plus seat reservation fee, but I will try it again as you suggest.

Meanwhile, is it safe to assume that when train car and bus seating positions are shown that the vehicle is facing left to right–ie, the front of the train or bus is to the left and the rear is to the right of the diagram?

thanks,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 4:46:36 #908722

OK, the Drop Down menu now does show the Swill Travel Pass, but when selecting a seat on the Bernina Express bus from Lugano to Tirano, the seats numbers go from the 70’s on the left to the teens on the right–that seems odd if the bus is facing to the left–there is no way to tell which is the front and the rear of the bus–I found the same to be true when I selected seats on trains.

What am I missing?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2019 at 4:56:16 #908723

I don’t think RHB guarantee the driection of travel. My experience with bookings at shop.rhb.ch/en/catalog /product/view/id/18 is that the seats at the top of the seating plan are on the right heading south. Not sure if that helps or guarantees anything.

The location of the driver’s seat on the plan for the bus is something of a giveaway as to the direction of travel. Get the two front seats on the right of the bus if you can and are adventurous. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 5:10:10 #908724

IIt is not working–I have tried to input the Bernina Express from Tirano to Filisur or Chur, the Glacier Express from FDavos or Filisur to Brig and i get the same limited options I was getting when I first posted for help: either No Discount or Half Fare–no mention of Swiss Travel Pass anymore–very frustrating!!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2019 at 5:42:16 #908725

What date are you looking at? Looks perfectly OK to me for a random date (in June and May) for Tirano to Chur and Tirano to Filisur. You are using this link – shop. rhb. ch/en/catalog /product/view/id/18?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2019 at 5:44:06 #908726

The Glacier Express runs from St Mortiz or Filisur or Chur to Brig or Zermatt and you make reservations for that at shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en/specials/daytr ips/glacier-express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 8:01:09 #908727

Hi Bob,

Hope things are developing in your favour and are not getting too frustrating.

Have you checked the purchase options for reservations here:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/packages
    http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/packages

We’re here to support you.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 12:40:36 #908728

Thanks for your suggestions!

I now have been able to get seat reservations on the Bernina and Glacier Expresses–have only one more to buy on the Gotthard Express–waiting to hear back from sbb re how to do it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 12:42:25 #908729

Yes I have, but I was not able to figure out how to just buy seat reservations. I am doing my one trip planning and have a very tight schedule, so I cannot really use your services this time.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2019 at 21:19:46 #908730

Hi Bob,

Good oh!

The easiest way to make reservations (which for some reason SBB term a supplement on the Gotthard) is at bit.ly/2HHB2Ev.

I don’t know which way you are heading but the route is Flüelen to Lugano (or vice verse) via Göschenen. If you enter departure time of 14:10 from Flüelen or 9:22 from Lugano you’ll get the right train. N.B. The Gotthard is 1st Class only so if your STP is 2nd Class you’ll need a class upgrade.

Reservations on the boat leg are not possible. 1st Class gets you access to the top deck and dining room. You can upgrade onboard.

For a more complicated story see http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/ideas/offer.h tml/zuege/gotthard-panorama-express

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 22:28:17 #908731

Unfortunately, when I was finally able to connect with GOTTHARD PANARAMA EXPRESS or whatever they call themselves, there were NO seats left for THU, 5/23 although there were seats on all the other days. That is the only day I was trying to work it in, so will have to adjust my travel plans from Montreux to Lugano that day–so disappointing! Maybe if I had been able to connect with their websites earlier, but it is what it is!

I am not even sure what wound up working for me, as I kept going back and forth to various websites

But thanks for the “support” anyway.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2019 at 22:35:04 #908732

Your “welcome”.

You can follow the exact same route on regular trains if you want to stick to your preferred date. The scenery is just the same.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 April 2019 at 4:29:18 #908733

For what it’s worth Bob I followed the instructions I provided at bit.ly/2I6nYbx and found there were seats available on 23 May.

I wonder who you are referring to in your “Unfortunately, when I was finally able to connect with GOTTHARD PANARAMA EXPRESS or whatever they call themselves“?

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2019 at 10:43:59 #908734

Hi Bob,

You can try and get the seat reservation here: https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/passholder-fares-gotthard-panorama-express. Or take the same boat and a normal train as Rockoyster says. The views will be the same, the train a little less luxurious but perfectly fine.

• The thread ‘Seat reservations on Swiss panoramic trains issues’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.