Train suggestions for my trip to Wengen in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 13:17:41 #816071

Hello,

I would be landing in Zurich on the 12th june and wil go straight to Wengen where we have booked our apartment(Thanks to this forum Which gave more preferences to stay in a Swiss village). We are there for 4 nights and we are 6 people..I have certain queries where I need help..

1.One day would be taking trip to Jungfrauh and then little stroll around in interlaken and lake thun boat cruise-Is this fine?

2.One day would be taking a visit to Lucerne and stans-for this we will have to start soon as its a pretty long journey from Wengen-Is this fine?

3.One day would be going to Harder Kulm and Bern-is this fine?

4.Can we buy STP from the Zurich airport?

5.If we decide to by STP online,from where should I buy and in how much time do they email the passes?

6.I would be taking the STP for 4days which would start from the day I land there-so this would be from 12-06 to 15-06..On the 16th June I hve TGV lyria from Zurich to Paris and I would have to travel from wengen to zurich by train-How can I reduce the cost of the ticket which is costing me somewhere between RS 18000- 20,000 INR-Is there anyway to get a lesser price ticket?

7.Do we need reservations in the trains as while going through the SBB mobile app,I read some signs there mentioning low occupacy,high occupancy ?

8.Besides my Itinerary,Do you have any suggestions to where all I can go-if there is anything more interesting-then maybe I can change my choices

Thanks

Sumita

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 17:08:05 #885689

Hi Sumita,

1. Fine as in can it be done in 1 day? Probably if the weather cooperates and depending on how much time you want to spend at each place. The timetable will give you trip schedules.
    2. Yes, most likely – use the timetable to plan it out
    3. See above. 🙂
    4. Yes, but buying the Swiss Travel Pass online is much quicker and easier. You won’t have to wait in a line at the office (just hop on your train directly) and you’ll have a back up copy to print out if you lose your STP.
    5. See link above – in 99% of cases you get it emailed to you within minutes (but they will say within 3 days maximum)
    6. You’re looking to find a cheaper ticket from Wengen to Zurich? This is then a day not covered by your Swiss Travel Pass? If that is true then you can look for prices on the timetable but they tend not to fluctuate much at all.
    7. Reservations are typically not possible on most Swiss trains. They tell you occupancy expectations so you can travel on an earlier or later train when possible.
    8. For ideas on what to do in Switzerland look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities
    Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    19 May 2018 at 21:55:43 #885690

The Bernese Oberland regional pass may be an option?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 7:52:04 #885691

Thank you Lucas

1.Since I would be going for 4days consecutive STP from 12th June to 15th June-and somewhere I had read that it woks from midnight to midnight-So does this means my STP will start to work from 12th June midnight? Weather I am there or not as my flight is at 12:10 AM on the 12th june from India and I will reach Zurich at 8:50 AM on the 12th June itself.

2.If yes then My 4days will be covered from 12thjune-15th June?

3. And will the 4days consecutive STP also Work for my travel back to Zurich from wengen on the 16th June-we will be boarding train anytime between 8:30 AM-9:00 AM to Zurich as if its into work from 12th June midnight then 4 days should end on the 16th June midnight or wil it end on the 15th june

4.Can we laminate the STP?

5.Lucern-interlaken express needs no pre seat reservations?

6.From Interlaken where do we get a boat cruise from to THun-is that a boat cruise or jes a ferry that takes you to Thun

7.To upgrade from second class to first class for the boat cruise-how much would be the difference-

Thanks

sumita

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 19:03:10 #885692

Hi Sumita,

1. It works on calendar days so yes it will be effective starting June 12 at 00:01 until June 16 actually at 05:00 (to finish any night trains you might take starting late on June 15: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse
    2. yes
    3. Ends June 16 at 05:00 so you’ll need to buy a point to point ticket for that (use the STP for whichever day has more expensive travel (12 or 16)
    4. Yes, just don’t cover the bar code in any way
    5. Correct
    6. It is called a boat cruise rather than a ferry – not sure the difference technically. 🙂
    7. 1/2 the price difference between a 1st class and 2nd class ticket. Check prices on the SBB timetable.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 1:37:11 #885693

Hi sumita,

>> 6.From Interlaken where do we get a boat cruise from to THun-is that a boat cruise or jes a ferry that takes you to Thun

You get the boat from Interlaken West boat dock, adjacent to Interlaken West railway station.

It is a regular scheduled boat trip (public transport) between Interlaken West and Thun, usually with refreshments available on board. Some services are operated by a historic steamship. These are identified in the Swiss Timetable by the notation BAV (bateau à vapeur, meaning steamship in French)

They also offer occasional themed or event cruises:

http://www.bls.ch/en/freizeit -und-ferien/events/alle-events#time.from:21.05 .2018,time.to:21.05.20 19,categories.item:lak esboats

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 8:53:22 #885694

Thank you Lucas and Alpnrose666 🙂

• The thread ‘Train suggestions for my trip to Wengen in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.