Staying in hotel Zurich airport or Zurich center?

• seru
    Participant
    50 posts
    3 May 2022 at 21:52:12 #827069

Hi there- we are staying near Zurich airport at the Hilton the night before we leave Switzerland – the prior 5-6 days will have been spent in the Bernese Oberland area with a base in Wengen. I originally booked the hotel in March and got a pretty reasonable rate. I was thinking about switching to a hotel in Zurich downtown so we can explore the city on the last day, but they have become so expensive! I am wondering if it makes more sense to keep the hotel near Zurich airport and just take the train into downtown Zurich to explore during our last day. We will have the half fare card. Also, I had a question about traveling from the Hilton to Zurich airport the last day. There is a shuttle available for 5 CHF, but it also looks like we could walk to the Kloten Balsberg station and take the train or bus to the Zurich airport (which would cost less given we have the half fare card). Are my plans feasible, or should I keep looking for a hotel in Zurich downtown? Thanks for the help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    3 May 2022 at 22:06:15 #941410

Hi seru,

I think you should stick with the hotel near the airport. From Zurich Hilton you can easily reach Zurich downtown with the bus and train. You can also use the bus and train to get to the airport. The Swiss public transport is reasonably efficient and services are regular. If you have a lot of luggage however, taking the hotel airport shuttle may be a more convenient option.

Regards,

Anna

seru
    Participant
    50 posts
    4 May 2022 at 1:10:47 #941411

Thanks Anna! Actually, I was able to find rooms at Hotel Adler for that night. It is still considerably more expensive than the airport hotel we had booked, but it will be nice to be in the center of Zurich so we can explore the city (if we still have energy left at the end of our trip). Hope it is worth it! I have not cancelled the airport Hilton either. Will think about it for a few days then decide.

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 May 2022 at 7:07:39 #941412

Hi Seru,

I think you won’t regret staying in hotel Adler. It’s in the picturesque old town of Zurich, close to the Limmat river and at walking distance from the railway station.

If you travel from the Hilton Zurich Airport hotel to the main station of Zurich by public transport, that’s about 30 minutes for a single ride, so an additional 1 hour of traveling time for each day trip to or from Zurich. You can indeed travel from Kloten Balsberg to Zurich HB. A 2nd class single journey-ticket with the 50% discount provided by your Swiss Half Fare Card (https://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard) costs CHF 3.40. Details can be found in the timetable: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

seru
    Participant
    50 posts
    5 May 2022 at 21:49:50 #941413

Thanks! Is there a way to search old threads on here to see if others have commented on Hotel Adler? I am getting a bit nervous because some reviews have mentioned it is noisy at night since it is in the city center, and the rooms can be very hot so you have to open the windows. I am now wondering if we will be too tired to really explore Zurich on the last day and maybe we should just stay at the airport hotel to rest.

Anna
    6274 posts
    6 May 2022 at 6:59:30 #941414

Hi Seru,

I think Hotel Adler’s rooms are now equipped with air-conditioners so if it gets too warm in the room you can request the staff to switch them on. By the way, you can search old threads on this forum by using the search box at the top of this page.

Here’s a thread that mentioned Hotel Adler. Maybe you’ll find it useful: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/hotels-in-zurich

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Staying in hotel Zurich airport or Zurich center?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.