Suitcase or duffel bag on Swiss train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 17:58:30 #815703

My husband and I are leaving for Switzerland tomorrow! I might be overthinking this, but I’m having a hard time deciding between bringing my medium sized (24″) hard-sided suitcase or a squishable duffel bag. We fly into Zurich and are staying one night there, then 3 nights in Lucerne, followed by 3 nights in Zermatt. All three hotels are within 10 minutes walk to the train stations. Just wondering what the side walks are like and if it’s easy to navigate rolling suitcases on the roads or if I would be better off carrying a duffel bag. Also, I doubt that the suitcase would fit in any overhead storage compartments on the trains but I’m hoping a medium sized duffel bag would?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 18:32:09 #884066

Hi Julia, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

There’s enough space for your suitcase on the train. Every carriage has a special place for luggage. I always travel with rolling suitcases in Switzerland. Never had a problem. But it depends on the quality of your suitcase as well.

• The thread ‘Suitcase or duffel bag on Swiss train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.