Summer activities at Glacier 3000

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2019 at 8:23:56 #821447

Hello,

I’ll be visiting Switzerland in July and will be traveling with Swiss half card. I am considering to visit Glacier 3000 from Montreux and need some info as follows :

1…What activities are available in summer other than Cliff walk? Is it possible to walk on glacier given that we are not the serious hiker.

2… The SBB site is showing me the route only till Col du Pillon, and no info on gondola rides to the top at Glacier 3000. Where can I find info on gondola timetable and the fares with Swiss half card

3…Is col du pillon reachable by car?

Thanks

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2019 at 8:52:27 #911557

Hi Jakay,

The site for Glacier 3000 shows summer information: http://www.glacier3000.ch/en/ information/operating-hours-and-installations

Col du Pillon is open with a cable car. I do not know if you can reach it by car but I would think cable car is much better anyway. You can also find activities that are open this summer (click on the icon ‘activities’).

You might find this interesting: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/day-trip-to-glacier-3000-near-gstaad

Search for Glacier 3000 on the top right hand side search box for more threads on the subject.

Hope this helps and perhaps others have more suggestions.

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2019 at 23:55:22 #911558

Thanks Maria. I checked this website :http://www.glacier3000.ch/en/ excursions/activities

I am interested to do Ice express chairlift and snow bus. There is no info on this page for the cost of these activities. Are these free with gondola tickets? Do snow bus needs reservations? Does Snow bus takes you on Glaciers? Can we get off and walk on glacier and get back on the bus? Will there be enough snow in July to enjoy snow bus on glaciers?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 4:45:13 #911560

Thanks for the link rockoyster.

Please help me understand how to reach Glacier 3000 from Montreux. As per timetable on sbb.ch, this is the route I am getting : Montreux-Gstaad/Les diableretes by train and then Col du pillon by bus. If I understand correctly, there is a gondola from Col du Pillon which takes up on the summit. But sbb timetable doesn’t mention this. So my questions are:

1…Am I entering the correct destination ( Col du pillon, Glacier 3000) on sbb site?

2…Is gondola ride tickets included in the bus ticket to Col du Pillon? How much time it takes to reach on top by gondola?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 May 2019 at 5:20:39 #911561

Hi Jakay,

You are on the right track from Montreux to Glacier-des-Diablerets. You might find this thread useful (oops, I see Maria already gave you that link). I’ve never been to G3000.

See attachment for correct cableway station names.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 5:41:49 #911562

Thanks for the info on correct station names.

While searching for the tix on Sbb site, I am getting message that sbb site does not offer ticket from Col du Pillon to Glacier-des-diableretes and I’ll have to purchase it locally. Is it because its too early to get schedule for July tickets?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 May 2019 at 5:50:30 #911563

I think that is correct. If you try to buy a ticket for next week you will find the route there. I don’t think there is any need to buy in advance. Wait until you see what the weather is like as you should with all mountain excursions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 6:46:03 #911564

Thanks for giving valuable suggestions, as always.

• The thread ‘Summer activities at Glacier 3000’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11190 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.