Swiss Backpacker Discount for Half Fare Pass?

• remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    18 June 2013 at 9:32:09 #806056

Hello,
    The link from the myswissalps page for Half Fare card discounts takes me to Rail Europe’s page for the Swiss Card discounts.
    Does this mean that the discounts are the same for both cards? I’m interested in getting the discount at two different Swiss Backpacker hostels which are listed as giving a 50% discount on the 3rd night.
    I don’t see a Rail Europe page of discounts for the Half Fare card nor do I see a page of discounts on the Swiss Backpacker site that lists any Pass discounts.
    The hostels are slow to reply so I would appreciate any insight you have. Thanks!
    Remy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 June 2013 at 13:16:26 #838903

Hi Remy,

I suppose you mean the links for the guided city tours and hotel discounts? Both the Swiss Card and the Swiss Half Fare Card include those same discounts, hence the links to see what’s included. As for discounts on transportation you can best download the maps from both pages I just linked to. The main difference is that the Swiss Card allows free traveling on two days.

RailEurope does not sell the Swiss Half Fare Card. You can purchase it from the Swiss Railways here.

remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    18 June 2013 at 13:49:10 #838904

Okay, so the Swiss Backpacker hostels discount for the 3rd night at 50% applies to the Half Fare Card?

Is there an advantage to purchasing the Half Fare Card in advance instead of at the airport or station when we arrive in Geneva and Zurich?

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 June 2013 at 14:07:35 #838905

Hi Remy,

Yes they do. I would recommend to have them confirm that for your booking. Your other question has already been answered here.

remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    18 June 2013 at 14:16:31 #838906

You’re the best, Arno. Thanks!

• The thread ‘Swiss Backpacker Discount for Half Fare Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.