Swiss flexi pass or Swiss card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2011 at 20:21:44 #804779

Hi
    I am planning a trip to Switzerland for 5 days 4 nights from 19 Nov 2011. Following is my plan:

19 Nov – Paris – Basel – interlaken (overnight at interlaken)
    20 Nov – Interlaken (visit to Jungfrau)
    21 Nov – Interlaken – Lucern (overnight at lucern)
    22 Nov – Lucern (visit to Mount Titlus)
    21 Nov – Lucern – Basel -Paris

Will need your advice on whether a Swiss Flexi Pass for 4 days or or Swiss Card is more economical? We are a family of 4 , with 2 kids of 7 and 11.

Thanks!

Another question, is the promotion for the free round trip to paris applicable if i purchase tickets from Singapore?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 September 2011 at 13:37:43 #834485

Hi Happy10,

If you don’t mind to buy tickets for each trip, I would recommend the Swiss Half Fare Card in your case. It would be the cheapest option for you.

The free round trip to Paris is only available if the tickets can be shipped to the countries listed in this post. Unfortunately, Singapore is not included.

Enjoy your stay in the Alps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2011 at 21:16:03 #834486

Hi
    I have a slight change of plan. We will be staying in Lucern for 4 nights. Interlaken will be a day trip depending on the weather conditons since the mountain views may be obstructed by cloudy conditions especially in November.

My agent has quoted close to S$1800 for the France-Swiss 4 days pass for us to travel from Paris- Lausane-Lucern. As the price is quite steep, we are looking at other options. One of them is to fly direct from Paris to Zurich and then take a train to Lucern.

Is Swiss half fare care still cheaper option to us as we intend to take boat cruise, train to Mountain Pilatus, Golden pass line from Luceren to Interlaken and travel up to Jungfrau Mountain?

If I buy any pass from Trainticket, how long will it take to deliver to me? Will I get 50% discount on the Golden pass line reservation fee using swiss half fare , do I purchase it now or can I purchase it at the train station since the ride to interlaken depends on the weather then?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    19 October 2011 at 13:03:01 #834487

Hi Happy10. I wouldn’t recommend the Eurail France-Switzerland Pass if you only need the return trip Paris-Swiss border. You’d pay way too much, as the pass provides free traveling throughout France. Buying a separate ticket for this French leg is a lot more economical. Looking at your itinerary for Switzerland, I think you’d be best off with a Swiss Half Fare Card, especially if you land at Zurich and travel onto Lucerne. You can calculate exactly which pass is cheapest though, using the guidelines in our FAQ.

On the detail page of each pass (such as the Swiss Half Fare Card page or the Swiss Flexi Pass page) you can fill out your country of residence, further travel data and the preferred pass variant. This will result in an overview of reseller. Just click ‘Show more information’ with each reseller for an overview of shipping times and estimated delivery dates. Generally, delivery through TrainTicket to Singapore takes about 8 business days.

Reservation fees for panoramic trains aren’t discounted with either pass, so you’ll pay the full fare for this. The trip itself will be discounted by 50% though. If you don’t want to make seat reservations in advance due to the weather, you can arrange for them at the Lucerne station. November isn’t high season, so you may still manage to reserve seats this way. You can also choose to travel the same route in a regular train, that doesn’t require seat reservations, instead of in a panoramic Golden Pass train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2011 at 19:49:15 #834488

Hi there,
    If i may ask, if i got a Swiss Pass for that day and i am in Milan Italy going to take a train to Interlaken Ost. What price shoould i pay from Milan station? Do i pay only the train from Italy and in Switzerland i don’t have to pay.
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    David

Annika
    7104 posts
    18 November 2011 at 14:22:26 #834489

Hello David, and welcome to the forum. With a valid Swiss Pass you’ll have to pay the regular fee up to the first train station that’s on the Swiss Pass validity map. Depending on your train connection, this will be either Domodossola or Chiasso. Between that town and Interlaken you can travel for free. Please note that you may need seat reservations for the train crossing the border too.

I hope this answers your question. Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2011 at 20:07:09 #834490

Hi Arno,
    Thank you for your info.
    Regards
    david

• The thread ‘Swiss flexi pass or Swiss card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.