Sep 30, 2014 - 5:38 AM
Annika (or others)... Based on Annika's great advice in another thread, I've replanned our journey to make sure we can take the Glacier Express. But I've now spent 3 hours trying to figure out best way to get the rail tickets for the whole trip and am more confused than ever.I know it's asking a lot, but if anyone can help with the following, it would be greatly appreciated.
Basic Trip Info:
- We are a family of 4: 2 adults + 1 18-year old + 1 15-year old.
- We're arriving into Zurich on 20-Dec and plan to take the train to Zermatt that day.
- On 27-Dec we want to take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur, and stay overnight in Chur.
- On 28-Dec we want to travel from Chur to Zurich for a flight to the U.K.
So that's 3 days of train travel...
It's so confusing to figure out best way to get our train tickets:
1) Should we buy a 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass that would cover all of our train journeys? (possibly with the exception of some supplemental fee for the Glacier Express segment?) or should we instead by the Swiss Card, which should get us our to/from airport travel and (maybe?) 50% off our glacier express tickets?
2) in the above scenario, the two train segments that are for the airport (arriving into Zurich and train to Zermatt, and leaving Chur to get back to Zurich airport) involve DIFFERENT Swiss cities. Some sites say that the two airport segments on a Swiss Card can be for 2 different cities, and some sites say that it has to be to/from the SAME city. Does anyone know definitively if the Swiss Card can be used for two different cities for the airport segments?
3) how can we best purchase our Glacier Express tickets, and can we pre-book from the U.S. and take advantage of the Swiss Card's 50% discount benefit? Somewhere i read it has to be done from Europe, and I'd worry that we shouldn't wait to book seats on the Glacier Express until we arrive into Switzerland, especially for peak holiday travel. The official site says you can buy starting 90 days ahead of journey, but no site I go to lets me buy more than 30 days ahead. given the holiday travel period, i want to make sure we can get good seats (1st class) on the SINGLE Glacier Express that travels eastbound during the winter on the 27th December.
Thanks so much for any help and advice, I'm not sure what I'd do if it weren't for the MySwissAlps site!