About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Swiss Half Fare Card for Lucerne, Zermatt, Wengen?
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Swiss Half Fare Card for Lucerne, Zermatt, Wengen?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Gilawi252
Gilawi252
3 posts
Jun 5, 2022 - 6:32 PM

Hi!

I know this has to be one of the more asked questions in this forum. I've already examined the different Swiss Passes, but still want to be sure if this is the right for me. Maybe you can help if I give you my almost complete itinerary. This is how is it planned: Arrive at Zurich airport and take the train directly to Lucerne (visit to Mt. Rigi (Golden Route) and possibly Titlis. From Lucerne to Zermatt for three days; from Zermatt to Wengen (plan to visit Muerren, Schilthorn, Grindelwald and Wengen). Not sure of Jungraojoch. Return to Zurich. Will the Swiss Half Fare card will be the best choice? Waiting four your opinions.

Thanks

Gilberto

Anna
Anna
4089 posts
expert &
Jun 6, 2022 - 7:45 AM in reply to Gilawi252

Hi Gilberto,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Based on your current plans, the Swiss Half Fare Card (SHFC) is a sensible choice. You pay half-price for all train tickets and mountain excursions so you'll save quite a bit. With the SHFC, you can also take advantage of cheaper Saver Day Pass and Supersaver tickets if you buy early. You can find more details here: www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard. Be sure to check this link too about buying discounted point-to-point tickets: www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

You might also want to consider if getting the Swiss Travel Pass (STP) might be more convenient. With the STP, you don't have to worry about buying tickets for each trip as the pass offers unlimited travelling on all Swiss public transport (trains, trams, bus, boats). You only need to arrange for discounted tickets on mountain transportation such as cogwheel trains, cable cars, gondolas and funiculars. So for instance, based on your itinerary, the only tickets you need are for the visits to Schilthorn, Titlis and Jungfraujoch and any planned mountain excursions in Zermatt, Wengen and Grindelwald.

For tips on how to choose the best railpass, please refer to this quick guide, which comes with a spreadsheet that helps you to calculate and compare the cost of different railpass: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Hope this helps.

regards,

Anna

Gilawi252
Gilawi252
3 posts
Jun 6, 2022 - 6:45 PM in reply to Anna

Thank you very much, Anna. You are really an expert. This information is invaluable. Will look carefully in all the recommendations you gave me.

Gilberto

Gilawi252
Gilawi252
3 posts
Jun 7, 2022 - 2:33 AM in reply to Gilawi252

Another question came to my mind after reading your reply. When you mentioned "...you only need to arrange for discounted tickets on mountain transportation such as cogwheel trains, cable cars, gondolas and funiculars...", that is as an additional cost, or referring just to make the arrangements to get a "free" ticket for those type of transport?

Thanks again,

Gilberto

Ildiko
Ildiko
2594 posts
expert &
Jun 7, 2022 - 7:14 AM in reply to Gilawi252

Hi Gilberto,

these are for an extra cost as the Swiss Travel Pass gives 50% discount on mountain transport.(Find the details here: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity)

Try the calculation spreadsheet that Anna mentioned, it is pretty useful! You'll see wich pass is the best for your trip.

Let us know if you need help,

Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2023