Swiss Half Fare Card vs Regional Pass BO

• WendyLR
    Participant
    3 posts
    9 April 2018 at 19:44:06 #815235

I will be in staying in Stechelberg (via Lucern) for about a week. I am thinking of buying the regional Bernese Oberland pass. The weather and whim will determine most of my plans. I may just feel like walking about everyday ….but may want to go to Bern or some other place for the day. Below are a few questions as i am wondering if the Swiss Half Fare or Regional Pass makes most sense.

From this site:

“Discounts

a 25% discount applies to the pass price if you have a valid Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card at the time of traveling.” QUESTION: i don’t think there is any reason to by the Swiss Half Fare pass….is there?

There is very little difference in price between purchasing thru HappyRail & SwissRail. QUESTION: will the purchase site make a difference any other way?

Last, the regional pass seems like the best deal compared to Swiss Half Fare, as I will be in that area, but I don’t have a specific itinerary. QUESTION: any comments?

Thanks in advance, Wendy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 April 2018 at 21:11:38 #881777

Hello Wendy and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The value of any specific pass depends entirely on your itinerary. If you just feel like walking about every day then you probably don’t need a pass.

We don’t know what else you are doing in Switzerland so it’s a bit difficult to offer firm advice.

The conventional wisdom says to read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. 🤓

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 April 2018 at 7:17:46 #881778

Hi Wendy,

The page that Rockoyster suggested is useful to get the definitive answer. If you’re going to do the math as explained on the page, then you can take into account the discount on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland and on trips outside the covered area if you would buy a Swiss Half Fare Card too. It looks like you won’t make making many trips outside that area, so I would not think getting a Swiss Half Fare Card makes sense in your case.

Where you buy it up to your preferences. All retailer sites listed on MySwissAlps are trusted companies.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card vs Regional Pass BO’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.