Swiss itinerary – recommendation/advice late May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 9:58:00 #814367

Hi,

Thinking of following itinerary for 10 day Swiss holiday in May-end/June start. Any suggestions/advise on this plan? —

1. Montreux – 2 days

a. Day1 – See around (chateau de chillon, promenade, Rochers-de-Naye)

b. Day 2 – Glacier 3000 (can Gstaad and Glacier 3000 be done in single day?)

2. Zermatt – 3 days

a. Day 1 – Matterhorn Glacier Paradise

b. Day 2 – Gornergrat

c. Day 3 – Hiking /Walking Trails (5 lakes)

3. Wengen – 3 days

a.Day 1 – First and Bachalpsee lake

b.Day 2 – Jungfraujoch & Trummelbach Falls

c. Interlaken / Lauterbrunnen /walking trails etc. (or reserve day for Junfraujoch if weather is bad on Day 2)

4. Lucerne – 2 days

a. Day 1 – Titlis (and Lucerne City)

b. Day 2 – Pilatus

Next day travel to Zurich and fly out

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 16:25:46 #876312

Hi prajakts and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I like the itinerary – have you used the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your train, bus, cable car trips? Also be sure to look through the Swiss rail passes here, the Swiss Travel Pass looks to be a good option for your itinerary but be sure to read through our web page on how to choose the best rail pass.

Yes, the Glacier 3000 and Gstaad can be done in one day from Montreux. You can take the Golden Pass panoramic train to Gstaad as well. Read about my recent trip to the Glacier 3000 here.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    15 February 2018 at 23:28:24 #876313

Hi

A couple of observations. Trümmelbach Falls is not close to Jungfraujoch. It is near Lauderbrunnen and makes more sense to visit on the day you visit Lauderbrunnen. In late May you may or may not run into trails being impassable due to snow, especially First to Bachalpsee. Last if the trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is open, it is a can’t miss sight. I would do that hike instead of visiting Lauderbrunnen/Interlaken. You can find the trail status at the Wengen tourist office MARK

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 3:05:09 #876314

Thanks Lucas and Mark. If you could help me with few more questions –

1. Had thought of taking 15 day Swiss Travel Pass (online before travelling) and then buy discounted mountain trip tickets on actual day of travel (at stations). Hope that works? or should I also buy discounted tickets upfront?

2. I haven’t looked at specific timetables but assumed trains might be available each 30 mins/ 1 hr so didn’t think of planning to very specific trains. Should I be doing that?

3. I am probably landing Zurich early morning and I assume it would take5-6 hours to reach Montreux. Is my Montreux Day1 plan flawed as I wouldn’t get time to do city watching? Also is there a scenic train from Zurich to Montreux which is recommended?

4. Any recommendations from you on walking trails (as I would like to do at least couple of them) in Zermatt or OB area. So far planning – 5 Lakes (Zermatt), First to Bachalpsee (hoping its open), Mannlichen to Klein Scheidegg (as recommended by Mark),

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 February 2018 at 4:29:24 #876315

Hi prajakts,

1. Your plan will work. Don’t buy mountain tickets until you know the weather will be OK.

2. It would pay to become familiar with the timetables. It will save you waiting around at stations for a train to show up.

3. The fastest route from Zurich Airport to Montreux will take just under 3 hours. The most scenic route (also the slowest) from Zurich to Montreux is go to Lucerne and join the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) to Montreux. The timetable will tell you how long that will take and how long you will have to wander around Montreux on arrival. But you will do some of the Golden Pass if your visit Gstaad and between Wengen and Lucerne so you can probably go the fast route. Or fly into Geneva 😎.

From Zermatt to Wengen travel via Brig and Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The faster route via Visp takes you through a long tunnel which is not so scenic (as you might imagine).

4. I’ll leave that to others.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 9:07:08 #876316

Hi Lucas & rock oyster,

I am travelling Switzerland 1st time with my wife & daughter. My tickets are already booked. Would reach Zurich on 3rd May and return back India on 13th May morning flight.

I have also booked an apartment in Lucerne from 3rd to 7th May. (4 nights). Net destinations still need to plan. Maybe Interlaken, Zermatt and other places of attraction.

Request you to help me with the iteniery. How can I utilise 4 nights in Lucerne with other top attractions.

We would be travelling via pubic transportation ie train, bus etc. May be we can go for 8 or 10 day travel pass.

Also we are looking to stay in apartments with kitchen so that we can cook for ourselves.

please help.

Thanx & regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 9:24:59 #876317

Hi Rakesh0908,

Can you create a new thread for this discussion? This is for prajakts.

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 10:08:38 #876318

Thanks RockOyster Mark/Lucas – Any suggestions on walking trails/hikes in Zermatt or Wengen?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 10:11:53 #876319

Sorry Lucas. By mistake.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    16 February 2018 at 12:20:54 #876320

Some suggestions for hikes in Zermatt. The trail from Zermatt to Zmutt is fairly easy with gentle uphill and nice views of the Matterhorn. The hike from Riffelalp to Riffelsee is a little harder but a lookout just past Riffelsee gives a great view of Gornergletcher. The hike from Riffelalp to Fluhalp passes several nice alpine lakes. While I haven’t personally hiked the Matterhorn glacier paradise area, it is a popular destination. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 13:08:39 #876321

Hi prajakts,

We have a details on many popular hikes nearby both towns on our website. Have a look through those links and let us know if you have more questions:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 6:56:54 #876322

Thanks Lucas and Mark. On last day – I have flight from Zurich at 11:30 AM. Would it be advisable for me to move to Zurich and stay one day or early start from Lucerne to airport is feasible/recommended??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 8:41:42 #876323

Lucerne to Zurich airport has direct trains that take 62 minutes, trains that stop in Zurich take 67 minutes – so very easy to do that if you wish. The Swiss railways timetable will give you all the needed details.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 February 2018 at 8:44:24 #876324

Staying in Lucerne and getting to Zurich Airport in the morning is no problem. Just try to avoid changing trains at Zurich Main Station. It is big, and busy – especially in the morning rush hour.

• The thread ‘Swiss itinerary – recommendation/advice late May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.