Swiss pass clarification

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2012 at 19:13:46 #805569

6 of us will be arriving in Zurich 4 on Oct 5, and 2 on Oct 6, 2012. On Oct 5 4 of us will head from Zurich to Lucerne. While there we will either do Mt. Titlis or Mt. Piliatis spend the night and then our other 2 companions will meet us. Will then travel to Lake Brienz. We will make this our home base for 1 week. On Sun, Oct 7 we will go to up Junfraouch, Tummellbach Falls, Launterbrennen etc then retun to Brienz. Monday will be head to Montreaux & Gruyere, Tuesday Zermant. Wed thinking of visiting one of the hot springs, Thursday Lake Thun and anyother sights we can fit in. On Friday 3 of us will depart for Salzburg Austria and 3 will depart of Italy. So with this type of itinery, which pass do you think would be best for us. Also the 3 in Salzburg will make there way to Italy October 16 and then we will all depart Italy Cinque Terre area to head back to Zurich to depart for home.

I have looked at all passes a million times, jusst to get more confused. Thought I was convinced that the Swill Pass buyonegetone would be the best. We could each buy a full one that would cover us for 8 days. Now I am not so sure. If we went with the flexi Pass I am confused as how to determine what days are half price and what days are full coverage. Would we have to validate and use full fare on day of arrival or can we decide to use 50% fare on day of activation. Same with ending day. Help and suggestions appreciated. I hope to get this straight before we depart on October 4.

Thanks Cheryl

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 August 2012 at 5:12:54 #837029

Hello Cheryl. I’d buy sets of the 2 for 1 deal on the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass to cover all days of your stay, just as Annika suggested in your previous topic. That’s the best option since you plan to travel a lot on many days of your stay.

A Swiss Flexi Pass would be more complicated (as you have to start and end with a free travel day and have to think about picking other free travel days too), and looking at your plans I think it will be more expensive too.

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 August 2012 at 6:28:14 #837030

I almost forgot: you’ll even get an extra discount on top of the 2 for 1 deal through these promo codes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2012 at 21:07:16 #837031

Hello Arno
    Thank you so much for the help. Yes we were leaning towards the Swiss Pass as per suggestion in previous post. Just wanted a second opnion. So my, I hope, final concern would be on the last day Friday When we split up and 3 of us will go to Salzburg the rest to Italy. How will will be handle that? Seeing we will not have an even number traveling? thanks for the help

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 August 2012 at 2:07:47 #837032

Hello Cheryl,

On that Friday, you’ll have 3 passes, which are for 2 people each. One group of 3 will use 2 passes and will travel for free. The other group of 3 will use one pass, so 2 of them will travel for free, and one of them needs a regular ticket.

• The thread ‘Swiss pass clarification’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.