Swiss Pass or No for 3 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2011 at 16:22:01 #804426

aprillim wrote:
    Hi,
    My family and I will be arriving at Zurich airport at around 9pm which we will then head straight to Lucerne. Will we still be able to get the Swiss Saver Pass at that time in the airport? How does the Swiss pass work? Since we will be reaching on the 7th of July night and leaving on the morning of the 10th of July to Venice. Should we get a 4 days pass or a 3 days pass? Or rather do we even need to get the pass since we will only be travelling on the train through the cities and that’s it.
    Another question is how do i get from Interlaken to Venice.
    Thanks for your help.
    April.

Hello April, and welcome to the forum. Which pass is best, depends on your exact itinerary. I don’t know what trips you’ll be making, but if longer train journeys from city to city are involved, you may consider a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass for July 8, 9 and 10. You’ll find detailed explanation and purchase options at the Swiss Pass and Swiss Flexi Pass pages.
    The timetable will help you plan your trip. Just fill out Interlaken as your departure station and Venice as your arrival station to check all possible train connections.
    By the way, would you mind creating a new topic for questions that aren’t closely related to this current topic, started by kkm8706? A new topic for each specific situation, itinerary or question helps our forum visitors to keep a clear overview. Just log in, get to the forum and click ‘Start new topic’ in the upper right corner right above the topic overview. Thank you!
    Best regards,

Annika
    Moderator MySwissAlps.com

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2011 at 18:22:48 #833274

Thank You for the reply.

And also, should i get the Swiss Pass early online or will it be possible to get it in the airport?

Thanks again.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 June 2011 at 3:01:25 #833275

Hi April,

Zurich airport has a rail station with ticket desk, but purchasing in advance is cheaper in many cases. All local and online prices can be found on the pages Annika referred to. You may even qualify for extra discounts.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2011 at 16:41:22 #833276

Hi,

I will be reaching Zurich Airport on the 7/07 night and travelling straight to Lucerne. And on the 8/07 i’ll be travelling from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen, and to Interlaken on the 09/07, and to Venice on the 10/07.

How does the 3 days Swiss Flexi Pass works? Is it based on 24 hours or per day? Say if i were to validate my ticket on the 7/07 night. Does the first day expires on the same time the next day or at 12pm on the 7/07?

And as for the travel to italy, will it be cheaper if i get my tickets on the sbb.ch website online, or can i get it at the station on that day? The price on the sbb.ch includes ticket from Interlaken to Luzern as well as two more ticket from Luzern to Arth-Goldau and to Milano Centrale. As i believe my Flexi pass will enable me to travel to Spiez where i’ll need to get another ticket from Spiez to Venice?

I’ve attached the page showing the changes from interlaken to venice. Is this the train that i’m suppose to take to Venice?

Thanks

Annika
    7104 posts
    25 June 2011 at 6:28:35 #833277

Hi April. The Swiss Flexi Pass is based on dates, not on 24h periods. So if you validate your pass on the night of July 7, the first free travel day will expire at 12pm that same night.

If you use a free travel day for your outbound trip from Interlaken to Venice, the entire Swiss leg of the route will be for free and you’ll only have to pay for the Italian leg. That’s not how it’s calculated in the attachment. ‘RailPlus’ is listed there as a reduction option, but that’s something different.

In order to receive the right tickets for this trip, you should indicate that you’re entitled to free travel in Switzerland during the order process at the SBB website. You can do so during step 2 of the ordering process, where you’ll be asked if you have any reduction options in the lower right corner. Select ‘GA’ here in either 1st or 2nd class (this depends on whether you choose a 1st or 2nd class Swiss Flexi Pass), as this ‘General Abonnement’ offers the same discounts/free travel options as the Swiss Flexi Pass. The right price should be calculated automatically, including free travel up to the border station of Chiasso or Domodossola (depending on your train connection), as this is where the validity of the Swiss Flexi Pass ends.

You don’t have to order this ticket in advance though. You can also buy it at the railway station of Lucerne, Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken. Just show your Swiss Flexi Pass and explain that you need a ticket to Milan using a free travel day. You can arrange for your seat reservations there as well.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or No for 3 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.