Swiss Pass, Swiss Flexi or Half Fare

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2010 at 14:36:30 #803994

Hi,

We are 2 adult and 2 small kid (2 and 6 years old) will travelling in Sept. we arrive in Zurich and head off to Venice for 2 night, Rome 2 night and back to Lauterbrunen for 3 night and Geneva 2 night

Day 1 Venice : Zurich to Venice by train
    Day 2 Venice
    Day 3 Venice and Rome
    Day 4 Rome
    Day 5 Rome and Lauterbrunnen (Swiss) via Spiez and Interlaken. Lauterbrunnen sightseing
    Day 6 Lauterbrunen (Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, Jungfraujoch)
    Day 7 Lauterbrunen : (Interlaken, Luzern via Golden Line and boating at Lake Thun or Brienz and Lake Luzern)
    Day 8 Lauterbrunen/ Geneva : Use Golden line to MOntreaux and use other train to Geneva, can i bring my baggage in this train
    Day 9 : Geneva : Geneva sightseing , need suggestion from you
    Day 10 : Geneva to Zurich airport late afternoon

Which one will be cheaper, swiss pass, swiss flexi pass or half ?.

Please advise me on the itinerary and maybe can include more trip and which rail pass should I choose.

Regards
    Fazili

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    6 September 2010 at 15:36:35 #831792

Hello Fazili! According to my calculations, you’re best off with a Swiss Half Fare Card. The total costs of your Swiss travel plans (per person and in 2nd class) are about CHF 642.00. I didn’t include a boat trip on Lake Lucerne in this example, as there are too many possibilities there, and I used a return boat trip between Interlaken and Brienz instead. The Swiss Half Fare Card costs CHF 99.00 per person and grants a 50% discount on all trips, which would make a total of CHF 420.00 per person. Your youngest child will travel along for free anyhow; your 6 year old will travel along for free as well if you order a free STS Family Card along with your Swiss Half Fare Cards.

If you plan on making some other trips besides the ones you mentioned the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass or Swiss Saver Pass may become more economical, as they allow free travel on a number of days. Should your plans change, please find out how to calculate which pass is most cost effective in our rail FAQ.

Yes, you can take along your luggage on the Golden Pass panoramic train. By the way, seat reservations are required for this trip.

As for your itinerary: I’d say that day 6 and especially day 7 are quite full. It’s do-able to visit Mürren, Wengen, Grindelwald en Jungfraujoch in one day by making a roundtrip. But visiting Interlaken and Lucerne in one day, and make boat trips on two lakes, would be a bit too much in my opinion. This would require a very tight schedule with little room for relaxing and enjoying the views. My advice would be not to spend too much time in Interlaken. Lucerne has a much prettier town centre which is worth exploring. As for the boat trips: you may want to choose between the lakes as well.

The Geneva tourism website will provide you with tips on sightseeing. A boat trip on this lake is possible of course, just as strolling along the shores. There are many buildings and museums to be visited as well.

Good luck on your further preparation!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2010 at 5:07:49 #831793

Hi Annika,

What are the best intenary for day 6, which one i should go first and follow

Annika
    7125 posts
    7 September 2010 at 15:35:27 #831794

Hi Fazili. The trip to Mürren should be made apart from the round trip Wengen – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald – Lauterbrunnen. My advice would be to get up to the Jungfraujoch as early as possible, as the sun will have a nice angle then and morning skies are often clearer than mid-afternoon skies. But this depends on the weather, of course. Should the weather improve in the course of the day, it would be better to visit the Jungfraujoch a bit later. Please try to maintain a flexible travel scheme and adapt your plan to weather circumstances. You don’t have to make seat reservations, so you can simply get up whenever you like. Try to get to Jungfraujoch at the best moment of the day, as the views up there are impressive and it would be a shame to arrive up there and see nothing but clouds. If weather is bad, don’t go up at all and search for other activities.

In all, you could follow the route Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen as a round trip, and visit Mürren before or after this. You can either take a bus to Stechelberg and get up to Mürren by cable car, or take the funicular from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp and change to the connecting mountain train to Mürren there.

You can plan your trips using the Swiss timetable. Please fill out ‘Mürren BLM’ for Mürren.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2010 at 2:17:50 #831795

Hi Annika, thank for your info , really apprecaite it, how about the day 7 trip to luzern, can you advice the itenary at there, sorry for asking so many question coz this is my first trip to Swiss.

Annika
    7125 posts
    8 September 2010 at 13:32:55 #831796

Hello Fazili! Your trip from Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne can best be made over the Brünig Pass route. You’ll travel along the shores of lake Brienz to Meiringen first, and then cross the beautiful Brünig pass and some more (smaller) lakes, before reaching Lucerne. If you want to plan this trip, you can enter Lauterbrunnen as your departure station, Lucerne as your arrival station and Meiringen as your via-station in the timetable. The timetable will then show all connections over this route. In Lucerne, you should try to visit the famous Kappel bridge, which is close to the central railway station. A simple stroll through the city centre is nice as well. In bad weather, you may want to visit the traffic museum.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass, Swiss Flexi or Half Fare’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.