Swiss pass with Eurail Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2011 at 0:33:13 #804329

Hi,
    I am planning to get a swiss pass during my traveling in Switzerland and eurail select pass(Germany,France… no Switzerland)
    I just have a question that can I take a train from Zurich to Munich for free.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 May 2011 at 3:04:12 #832936

Hi superbo,

Yes, your Swiss Pass would cover the Swiss leg and your Eurail Select Pass the German leg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2011 at 1:21:48 #832937

Hi Arno.

Thank you for you reply. It’s very useful.
    But thing’s going to be change a little bit. I was planning to stay there only 4 days. However, there are so many things we want to see,
    so turn out we gonna stay there 6 days. In this case, I don’t think the swiss pass is my best option ?
    There is my plan:

Day 1: Arrival at Geneva airport from Paris, spend half day there and then heading to Montreux.
    Day 2: Montreux to Interlaken by Golden pass line, stay at Interlaken
    Day 3: Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, see Rigi, stay at Interlaken
    Day 4: Jungfraujoch & Schilthorn stay at Interlaken
    Day 5: Interlaken to Lucerne, see Pilatus, stay at Lucerne
    Day 6: Look around Lucerne then heading to Zurich then Munich by train
    There are some questions and hopefully you can help me out. Appreaciate it.

1. What is the best travel pass option for this trip ? Should I get a eurail select pass including Switzerland and just pay the extra which doesn’t cover ?
    I know the swiss card is also a good option. But how does the round trip work ? My understanding is I can get my first trip and last one for free ? And it has to be in one day and the quickest route as well. So Idon’t think I can use it from Geneva to Interlaken by taking Golden pass line assuming I’m going to travel between them within one day.
    2. About day 4, is this possible the see Jungfraujoch & Schilthorn in one day. I also want to do a little bit hiking.

3. I know the see all the mounts need a little bit luck. So what can I do if the weather is not good at those days. Glacier Express ?

4. How much do I pay if I have a 2nd class pass and want to upgrade to 1st class between Montreux and Zweisimmen ?
    And is that worth paying extra money for the vip seats from Montreux to Zweisimmen ?
    One again, thank you some much for your helps. You guys are awesome.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 May 2011 at 12:49:34 #832938

Hello superbo.

1) The Eurail Select Pass doesn’t offer as much discounts as the Swiss Pass and other Swiss rail passes do. For example: the Schilthorn isn’t included, train connections from Interlaken to Grindelwald / Lauterbrunnen / Wengen and so on are only discounted by 25%, and so on. Please refer to the Eurail Select Pass page for an overview of what’s included. I think a Swiss Half Fare Card would be a good supplement.

2) You could visit both Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn in one day if weather is good, but I wouldn’t prefer to do so. It will be hard to combine it with hiking as well. You could take the relatively easy hike from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, but this would result in a very long travel day. Please take a look at the timetable to get an indication of travelling times.

3) Bad weather alternatives are the Trümmelbach falls near Stechelberg, the Aare gorge at Meiringen, the Beatus caves near Beatenberg and the Swiss transport museum (‘Verkehrshaus’) at Lucerne. Further tips can be found in our day trip overview. The Glacier Express is quite a detour and would change your travel scheme. Moreover, you have to reserve seats in advance.

4) The VIP seats on the Golden Pass train are a great experience, so it’s worth the extra money in my opinion. Prices can be obtained through the timetable (see the FAQ for more information) or at the Golden Pass website. For a regular 1st class seat you would have to pay the difference between the second and first class price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2011 at 8:49:20 #832939

Hi all,

Thank you for the information. I think I got better idea about this trip.
    I just wonder which side of the vip seat should I choose for the golden pass line from Montreux to Zweisimmen ?
    And also 4 days Swiss Pass and Swiss Half Fare, which one is more suitable for me ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 May 2011 at 12:31:40 #832940

Hi superbo,

From a VIP seat, you can look in all directions, so I don’t think there’s a big difference. A seat in the middle of the front row might be optimal.

As for the pass: if you already have Eurail, a Swiss Half Fare Card would be good like Annika mentioned in her last post.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2011 at 22:45:09 #832941

Hi there,

I just saw the promotion for the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland.
    Can I purchase it online and collect it at train station in Switzerland ?
    Or Can I get the same deal if I buy it when I’m in Switzerland ?

Thank you very much.
    Bo

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 May 2011 at 1:25:25 #832942

Hi Bo,

As far as I know you can only order online and have it delivered at home. For detailed purchase and shipping options, select the right pass at the right side of the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2011 at 11:11:08 #832943

Hi there,

Thank you for you response. I think I will buy a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland because the special offer.
    Does Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland give any discount at Mount Pilatus ?
    What else I can do in Bernese Oberland region, besides interlaken, Jungfraujoch & Schilthorn ?

Thank you so much.
    Bo

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2011 at 13:05:21 #832944

Hi Bo,

The Pilatus is in another region, so it’s not included. Please refer to the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland page for a link to a detailed network overview. The link to the day trip page Annika gave you lists ideas for the Bernese Oberland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2011 at 21:55:15 #832945

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your quick response.
    What about luzern ? I saw luzern is in 50% off zone. Is this true ? So I can take bus train and boat there.

Thank you
    Bo

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 May 2011 at 7:29:40 #832946

Hi Bo,
    Yes, you can reach Luzern with 50% off, but anything else there is not included (buses, boats, mountain transport).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2011 at 5:46:03 #832947

Hi there,

One more question, I need to buy a ticket from Meiringen to Luzern because I only have Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland.
    but do I still need to make a seat reservation for this goldenpass line ?

Thank you so much.
    Bo

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    24 May 2011 at 9:33:58 #832948

Hello Bo,

Yes, you will have to make a seat reservation, if you want to use the Golden Pass line instead of regular trains. If you choose for the Golden Pass line, more information can be found here.

I hope you will have a nice trip!

• The thread ‘Swiss pass with Eurail Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.