Swiss saver 15 day pass or half fare card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2012 at 13:38:32 #804912

hello,
    i’m trying to figure out which pass to get for our itinerary.
    i did some math, and seemed like half fare card will save us a lot of money, but i see some people recommend swiss saver pass because we will be taking a lot of trains. Which pass should we get?
    Thanks in advance!!
    day 1 zurich arrival
    day 2 basel day trip from zurich
    day 3 luzern (mt. pilatus)
    day 4 zermatt (matterhorn)
    day 5 zermatt and then evening train to lausanne
    day 6 lausanne (half day trip to montreux)
    day 7 lausanne
    day 8 golden pass to interlaken. base in lauterbrunen. harder kulm.
    day 9 jungfrau, and wengen
    day 10 schilthorn. train to bern
    day 11 bern
    day 12 back to zurich

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 February 2012 at 9:51:04 #834835

Hi Jdream, and welcome here on our website!

You’re indeed doing quite some traveling and my first impression would also be to take a 15-day Swiss Saver Pass. It would be more convenient as well as you can just board the trains and even boats without buying tickets and an unplanned additional trip will not cost you anything extra.

Some tips:

• While doing the math, please be aware that the timetable shows reduced single trip prices by default. Some people assume those prices to be the standard fare which will result in a different outcome.
    • If you travel in Spring or Fall, two 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Passes might be an interesting alternative for you. There’s a special offer currently so that you’ll only pay half the price for those passes.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2012 at 12:00:06 #834836

Thanks so much!!

We are traveling from 7/29 till 8/09.

How do we book golden pass using Swiss pass to get a discount?

Thank you!!

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 February 2012 at 11:44:50 #834837

Hello Jdream! You should book your seat reservations independently of your Swiss Pass. The ride itself will be for free, you only have to pay for the seat reservations. Just follow the instructions mentioned at the seat reservation page to arrange for them.

sugarp1um
    Participant
    27 posts
    19 February 2012 at 10:41:21 #834838

[quote]Arno said: Hi Jdream, and welcome here on our website!

You’re indeed doing quite some traveling and my first impression would also be to take a 15-day Swiss Saver Pass. It would be more convenient as well as you can just board the trains and even boats without buying tickets and an unplanned additional trip will not cost you anything extra.

Some tips:

• While doing the math, please be aware that the timetable shows reduced single trip prices by default. Some people assume those prices to be the standard fare which will result in a different outcome.
    • If you travel in Spring or Fall, two 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Passes might be an interesting alternative for you. There’s a special offer currently so that you’ll only pay half the price for those passes.

[/quote]HI I am trying to play with the timetable from the website http://www.sbb.ch/en/h ome.html
    Can’t seem to find anything called “reduced single trip price” on the selection.
    Also what does the box half fare travel card means at the end after hitting the Fare/Buy button?

So example, from Basel to Wengen I am seeing fare as 34.80 Sfr.
    Is that the right price or should I untick the half fare card price instead should I want to get the actual without any pass?

Annika
    7124 posts
    20 February 2012 at 10:50:31 #834839

Hi sugarplum! The SBB website shows prices including a 50% discount (for those who hold a rail pass granting such discounts). In order to get the regular full fares that apply if you don’t have any pass, you have to untick this box. So CHF 34.80 is indeed the 50% discounted fare, and not the regular fare.

sugarp1um
    Participant
    27 posts
    20 February 2012 at 10:58:26 #834840

[quote]Annika said: Hi sugarplum! The SBB website shows prices including a 50% discount (for those who hold a rail pass granting such discounts). In order to get the regular full fares that apply if you don’t have any pass, you have to untick this box. So CHF 34.80 is indeed the 50% discounted fare, and not the regular fare.[/quote]Thanks Annika

Then is a no brainer that a pass is indeed very useful
    Thanks

• The thread ‘Swiss saver 15 day pass or half fare card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.