Swiss Transfer ticket/Swiss Card – Bernina express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2013 at 3:20:20 #805924

Hi,
    i found about this forum while i am searching for Swiss rail passes.
    i hope you can assist me on this matter.

i have read on your page information about the Swiss Transfer ticket/Swiss Card, applies for the scenic train including Bernina Express.
    How does it work?

From Italy, I plan to enter Switzerland through the Bernina Express(Lugano-Chur).
    Is this counted as the first leg of journey ?
    So i only need to pay reservation for Bernina Express ?

Then for the second leg of journey, from the hotel to Basel Airport.
    (still deciding to stay at Chur or Zurich or Lucern).

Many thanks,
    Lusy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    23 April 2013 at 15:03:56 #838457

Welcome Lusy! The Swiss Transfer Ticket and the Swiss Card wouldn’t be valid for the route Lugano-Tirano-Chur. That’s because these passes require you to take the most direct and cheapest route from the border or airport (Lugano) to your destination (Chur, or Lucerne/Zurich further along the line). In this case, the shortest route would be via Bellinzona. The Bernina Express via Tirano is a long and thus more expensive detour, not covered by these passes. So you have a couple of options:

• enter via Lugano, but take the shorter route via Bellinzona with your Swiss Card or Swiss Transfer Ticket;
    • enter Switzerland via Tirano and skip the leg Lugano-Tirano, or pay for it. The Bernina Express train leg Tirano-Chur is considered to be the most direct route to Chur from this point, and will thus be covered;
    • make the entire Bernina Express trip from Lugano to Tirano and Chur, but choose another pass that’s not bound to specific routes. Depending on the duration of your stay and your further travel plans, you could look into a Swiss Pass, Swiss Flexi Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card. These would be valid for the complete trip Lugano-Tirano-Chur.

If you have a pass that entirely covers the route, you’ll only need Bernina Express seat reservations. The Swiss Half Fare Card would require you to arrange for seat reservations plus 50% discounted tickets.

I hope this helps a bit!

• The thread ‘Swiss Transfer ticket/Swiss Card – Bernina express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.