Swiss Travel Pass & the Bernina Express trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2018 at 14:58:24 #819111

Hi, my family and I will be going to Switzerland from 15/5/19 to 19/5/19. Our trip will start from Italy before we move on to Switzerland. I intend to use the Swiss Travel Pass while in Switzerland. However, I would like to use it on the Bernina Express from Tirano to Zurich. Will I be able to do so since the start of my journey is from Tirano which is in Italy and not Switzerland? I would like to know whether the seat reservation for Bernina Express is already open now? Also, are the seats allocated for holders of Swiss Travel Pass limited? I understand that the May is quite a popular month for tourists and I’m just afraid that if I’m not able to make my seat reservation in my Swiss Pass because the allocation is already fully taken up. Well, hoping to hear from you soon and thanking you in advance.

Thank you and

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2018 at 16:47:54 #899979

Hi Yav0520 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, the Bernina Express is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass (even in the small portion around Tirano in Italy). Reservations are extra and open 90 days before departure (no seats are allocated for Swiss Travel Pass holders)

Once you can make reservations, you can do so with one of the companies we recommend here: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/packages

The Swiss Travel Pass can be bought now if you wish and can be done online (giving you an electronic back up to print out again in case you lose it on your travels (and no need to wait in line at a rail office in Tirano to buy it). http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 0:44:56 #899980

1) reservations and worries about getting the train

To travel Tirano – Zurich, you do not have to travel on the Bernina Express (which only runs Tirano – Chur) There are regular trains on the route as well, although you would have to make a couple of changes of train. As such you are rarely likely to get stuck

For example:

Bernina Express: Tirano depart 14.25 – Chur arrive 18.19

Alternative by regional train: Tirano depart 13.41, change at Pontresina and Samedan – arrive Chur 18.03

Note also that only Tirano – Samedan is the actual Bernina railway. The rest of the route to Chur is the Albula railway, and Chur to Zurich is a Swiss Federal Railways inter-city line.

2) country borders

In most cases in Europe, international railway crossing points are not governed by the actual border but by which country runs the trains across the border. In Tirano the railway into Tirano is Swiss owned and operated and therefore the rail pass is valid.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 5:15:12 #899981

Dear Lucas, thank you for your info. Will take note of it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 5:19:39 #899982

Dear 1960man. Thank you for your info as well. I’m rather confused though. what’s the difference on Tirano – samedan railway, albula railway. Do the trains take different routes? If so, which route has got nicer sceneries?

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 December 2018 at 6:46:08 #899983

Hi Yavo520,

There’s only one route, you can find details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere. 1960man means that half of the route to Chur is called Bernina line and the other half Albula line. That’s only names, the Bernina Express gets you all the way to Chur with great scenery 95% of the way. Then you’ll change to a “regular” train to Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 13:23:11 #899984

Dear Arno, Thank you for your clarification. By the way, do I have to make seat reservation for regular train or is it free sitting?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 13:39:31 #899985

Hi Yavo,

Regular Swiss trains don’t require seat reservations, though they are optional on some routes. I wouldn’t usually make them myself.

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 15:17:47 #899986

Dear Lucas, Thank you very much your info and the links attached. I’ll purchase the Swiss Pass in advance and do my my seat reservations on Bernina Express when the time comes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 17:12:58 #899987

Sounds good.

Happy Travels!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 December 2018 at 19:35:07 #899988

Hi Yav,

You can make BEX reservations (from 90 days out from your travel date) without having first purchased the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2018 at 0:44:07 #899989

It is important to understand the difference between the ‘Bernina Express‘ and the ‘Bernina line‘. The Bernina line (railway) is the (originally independent) railway line between St Moritz and Tirano – it became part of the Rhaetian Railway (RhB) in 1943. It has regular ‘normal’ train services.

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/950.pdf

The Bernina Express runs through once a day between Tirano and Chur, but the line from Samedan/Pontresina/St Moritz to Chur is the Albula line not the Bernina line.

Both lines form part of the Rhaetian Railway (RhB) network of narrow gauge lines

Rhaetian Railway network map:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Rhaetian_Railway#/medi a/File:MapRhaetischeBa hn.svg

Albula railway line:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/950.pdf

Bernina railway line:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Bernina_railway

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass & the Bernina Express trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.