6 day itinerary & Swiss rail pass help for April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 12:16:45 #814066

Hi,

I am planning to visit the Switzerland on 26th April, 2018 and be there for around 6 days. My to and from flights are from Basel. I have sorted an itinerary for myself, however any expert opinion or suggestions are always welcome. I have been thinking of making my base to be Lucerne and Interlaken.

Day 1 – 26th April : Edinburgh to Basel, Basel to Lucerne by train. Spent the evening at Lucerne , may be a boat ride on the Lake. Night Stay at Lucerne.

Day 2 – 27th April : Luzern – Engelberg – Engleberg – Titlis (whole day Titlis) Return Route : Klientitils to Engleberg by gondola Engleberg to Hergiswil by train and Hergiswil to Lucern by boat. Night Stay at Lucerne.

Day 3 – 28th April : Some sight seeing around Lucerne (Chapel Bridge,Jesuit Church) have lunch and take a train to Interlaken. Take a evening troll around Lake thun( a boat trip may be). Night Stay at Interlaken.

Day 4 – 29th April : Jungfraujoch ( any suggestion on the route will be helpful). Night Stay at Interlaken.

Day 5 – 30th April : If weather permits : Interlaken via Kandersteg to Zermatt (day trip). Night Stay at Interlaken.

Day 6 – 1st May : Boat Cruise on Lake Brienz . Morning Stroll in interlaken. Take train to Basel after Lunch. Night Stay at Basel.

Day 7 – 2nd May : Early morning flight to Edinburgh.

Does this itinerary seems reality.? What passes should I opt for ? Is Swiss Pass helpful? What from the above itinerary can be termed as free with the Swiss Pass?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 16:16:17 #874505

Hi Sourav271 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Looks pretty solid on most of the days. For details and schedules for the boat trips check out web pages out her: Lake Lucerne, Lake Thun & Lake Brienz. And of course you can always use the Swiss railways timetable for everything as well.

There are two routes to Jungfraujoch (via Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald). Usually people go up one way and down the other. The routing is explained here.

Day 5 to Zermatt is a long day (3+ hours each way) Just and FYI. 🙂

As for rail passes, if you go to Zermatt you’ll want to look at the Swiss Travel Pass (8 days). If you don’t do Zermatt, the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland (6 days) could work for you. Be sure to click on the “where it’s valid” tab for both passes to see what is and isn’t covered on the attraction list and the PDF map.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 16:33:58 #874506

Thanks Lucas for your reply. Do I need to buy tickets each time I board with a Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland ? As the price difference is not much , will it be better to go with Swiss Travel Pass as I think I do not need to buy separate tickets with it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 7:18:48 #874507

Most trips are free on the Swiss Travel Pass and some on the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland.
    Look on the links I posted earlier and click on the “where it is valid” tab for both passes.

The PDF map and the list of attractions will note if it is “free” so no extra ticket needed or discounted (25% or 50% etc. or a dotted line on the map) where you will need to buy a ticket as well. The B.O. pass usually gives better discounts in the Bernese Oberland area but the Swiss Travel Pass is close and often more convenient.

• The thread ‘6 day itinerary & Swiss rail pass help for April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.