Black Forest and RheinFall tour – worth the trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 19:12:08 #813064

Hi

We are a couple from India.

We will be on our vacation trip to switzerland in Sep 2017.

On my last day of the tour, can we opt for Black Forest and Rhine Falls Day Trip from Zurich from Viator ? Is it worth ?

Further we have a flight at 2200 Hrs from Zurich Airport for India.

The Black Forest and Rhine Falls tour starts at 12:15 Hrs & ends at 19:15 hrs at Sihlquai Bus Terminal, central Zurich.

Can we reach the airport from Sihlquai Bus Terminal, central Zurich to Airport on time to catch the flight ?

If the airport is on the way back route of the Black Forest and Rhine Falls trip?

If we can carry our luggage at the bus of the trip Black Forest and Rhine Falls ?

thnx in advance

Juli

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 August 2017 at 1:43:50 #868883

Hi Juli-

<<“The Black Forest and Rhine Falls tour starts at 12:15 Hrs & ends at 19:15 hrs at Sihlquai Bus Terminal, central Zurich.

Can we reach the airport from Sihlquai Bus Terminal, central Zurich to Airport on time to catch the flight ?

If the airport is on the way back route of the Black Forest and Rhine Falls trip?

If we can carry our luggage at the bus of the trip Black Forest and Rhine Falls ?”>>

You can make it to the airport by 2000, for your 2200 flight, assuming you can transfer luggage or pick up luggage from the Zürich main station storage. (Careful, not sure what time the left luggage office closes; but, if you have a locker(s) – no problem).

It is possible , but needs careful attention to the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

<<“If the airport is on the way back route of the Black Forest and Rhine Falls trip?

If we can carry our luggage at the bus of the trip Black Forest and Rhine Falls ? “>>

I do not know how to tell you if the tour returns by a route passing the airport, since I do not know the details of the tour, or whether you can carry luggage, or , for that matter, how much luggage you have. Perhaps you could ask the tour operator?

Each of us has our own perspectives on what is “worth it.”

So, my opinions may not match your interests.

That said, my opinion is that spare time near Zürich is better spent at Luzern.

Since you have not defined the alternatives, I can say –

“Skip the tour.”

However, if you give us more details on what you are doing, perhaps we can offer a better answer.

Basically, the Rhine Falls are better than nothing, but not as good as many other things to see.

Where will you be on your tour before that, so we can suggest comparisons or alternatives?

Any sight or place in Switzerland has to be compared with other excellent options in order to make a choice.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 August 2017 at 1:58:22 #868884

Hi Juli-

<<“Switz Tour”>>

By the way-

the name of the country is Switzerland, and the adjectival form is “Swiss.”

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 9:37:46 #868885

Hi

Actually we will zurich on last tranch of our tour after visiting Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux, Zermatt & St Moritz.

We have an option either to explore Zurich City or visit Rhino Falls/Black Forest.

Pls advice in this perspective.

Further we have to catch the flight at 2200 Hrs from Zurich Airport for India.

thanx n rgds

Juli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 11:17:18 #868886

Hi Juli,

As Slowpoke said we don’t know the details of your Black Forest / Rheinfalls tour – it is a tour you are doing?

If you are doing it on your own then just be sure to be back to Zurich by 19:30 or so (and same goes for the tour if you take one) to be at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight.

My advice would not be to do a trip of this length on the same day you fly home so I would explore Zurich myself. 🙂

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 11:43:28 #868887

Hi Lucas

Thanx.

No it is a conducted tour of Viator.

I think we would visit Rhine Falls of our own & explore little bit of Zurich so that i can be back well within time to reach airport to catch the flight.

Further if you can help me in the following:-

We will reach at Interlaken West Station around 12 noon from Lucerne on 13th September 2017.

We will leave Interlaken on 15th September 2017 around 12 noon.

We want to visit the following:-

1) Mt. Jungfraujoch one day full so that we can cover Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald also.

2) Lake Thun and Lake Brienz

3) Harder Kulm

4) St. Beatus Caves waterfalls

5) Lauterbrunnen- the Valley of the 72 waterfalls specifically Trümmelbach Falls

6) Schynige Platte

How to plan ?

Pls help with details.

Pls advice.

rgds

Juli

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 September 2017 at 13:07:52 #868888

Hi Juli-

<<“1) Mt. Jungfraujoch one day full so that we can cover Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald also.”>>

Here is a start-

You have only one full day (plus 2 half days) in the area.

Therefore, yo must do the full day trip on your one full day.

On the way back down from Jungfraujoch, if you go through Lauuterbrunnen, you can see the Trummelbach Falls nearby. (Your number 5).

The Beatus caves are nice, but the mountain scenery is more memorable. So, I’d consider Harder Kulm and Schynige Platte for options near Interlaken

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 13:59:59 #868889

Hi Slowpoke

Thanx a lot.

thnx n rgds

Juli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 19:01:38 #868890

Hi Lucas

One query.

We would take our luggages in form of trolley bags, backpack & ladies purse.

We will avail Swiss Rail (Swiss Pass) during our whole tour of 12 nights/ 12 days for commuting one place to another.

Is it easy to carry luggages to & from hotel & station & further one platform to another for connecting train.

If escalator is there in all stations ?

Or Staircase ??

How much luggage one should take.

Pls advice.

thnx n rgds

Juli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 5:04:08 #868891

>> We would take our luggages in form of trolley bags, backpack & ladies purse … Is it easy to carry luggages to & from hotel & station & further one platform to another for connecting train. If escalator is there in all stations ? Or Staircase ??

How easy it is to carry your luggage between your hotel and the station depends on where you choose to stay. I would recommend choosing a hotel within easy walking distance of a railway station. In some mountain villages and resorts, hotels will provide transport between the station and the hotel for you and your luggage on the day of arrival and departure (check before booking).

On some trains the carriage is level with the platform, and you can wheel your luggage onto the train. On other trains, you will have to lift your luggage up a few steps to board the train, so keep that in mind in terms of the weight of your suitcase. Most stations have ramps as well as stairs for transferring between platforms, and major stations (e.g. Zürich, Bern) have lifts and escalators.

>> How much luggage one should take.

Well, that’s a personal choice 🙂 It certainly makes sense not to take more luggage than you can manage without assistance. If you think you need more, there are luggage transfer services that might interest you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 5:54:06 #868892

Hi Juli,

Alpenrose said it perfectly. I will add that if you haven’t booked hotels we do offer a list of hotels for many towns in Switzerland.

See a list of towns here. Click on each town you are staying in and there is a tab for hotels to click on. Each hotel has a remark noted about how far it is on foot from the train station.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 16:28:11 #868893

Hi Lucas

Thanx a ton.

It will help us a lot.

rgds

Juli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 16:29:02 #868894

Hi Alpenrose

Thanx a ton.

It will help us a lot.

rgds

Juli

• The thread ‘Black Forest and RheinFall tour – worth the trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.