Switzerland travel questions for August 15 – 30

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 14:03:00 #816441

I am planning for a swiss trip in later August for around 12-13 nights. We are one couple and a 2 and half years old kid (30 months). Since we have a kid with us, we would prefer to avoid too much traveling or too much change in trains etc. Below is the draft itinerary –

Day 1 – Land in Zurich – Take a direct train to Lucerne – Spend the day in Lucerne (night in Lucerne)

Day 2 – Rhine Falls & Gutsch from Lucerne (night in Lucerne)

Day 3 – Mt. Pilatus from Lucerne (night in Lucerne)

Day 4 – Lucerne to Interlaken through Brienz (night in Interlaken) Day 5 – Jungfraoh (night in Interlaken)

Day 6 – Lauterbrunnen – Schiltorn / Wengen / Gimmelwald / Grindewald First / Lake Bachalpsee (night in Interlaken)

Day 7 – Interlaken to Zermatt (night in Zermatt)

Day 8 – Matterhorn (night in Zermatt)

Day 9 – Zermatt to Montreux (night in Montreux)

Day 10 –Glacier 3000 (night in Montreux)

Day 11 – Gstaad / Sight Seeing (night in Montreux)

Day 12 – Montreux to Geneva and fly out

Questions –

1. Is August a good time to roam around ? Whether it would to be too hot / sunny ? Also if August would be expensive ?

2. I will have to buy a 15 day rail pass ? Considering that, if the above itinerary is too hectic, i may extend my stay by one or two days.

3. If the above itinerary is convenient or anything missing that can be covered or anything can be substituted ? I am opting for Glacier 3000 instead of Mt. Titlis

4. Travelling from Interlaken to Zermatt and Zermatt to Montreux will involve change in trains atleast two times. Any other suitable mode – eg Bus which would be time efficient as well ?

5. Since i would love to stay countryside, would Zermatt serve the purpose ?

Thanks a lot in anticipation !!

Chintan Gandhi (from India)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 19:40:36 #887352

Hi Chintan and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Do note on day 8: you don’t visit the Matterhorn. you can visit nearby mountains to get the best views of the Matterhorn though: Gornergrat & Klein Matterhorn.

1. August is no more expensive than any other month in Switzerland. August does get hot here but I don’t think compared to India it is too hot? 23-33 Celsius I would guess.
    2. A 15 day Swiss Travel Pass would make the most sense yes. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price Your days aren’t too hectic, except perhaps day 6 but it is a good plan. Use the timetable to plan out all the trips: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable.
    3. Looks pretty nice to me. I haven’t been to Mt. Titlis but enjoyed the Glacier 3000 last January: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/day-trip-to-glacier-3000-near-gstaad
    4. No. Buses don’t run where trains run and vice versa. The timetable always gives you the quickest route options
    5. Are you worried that Zermatt is too big a city? It is the smallest of all the towns you are staying at (about the same as Interlaken).
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 7:47:31 #887353

Thanks a lot Lucas for your quick revert. Highly appreciate.

Since my kid is just 2 years, i need not buy a swiss pass for him (also no need for a swiss family pass) right ?

Also, Mt. Pilatus would be covered in Swiss pass and no need to pay extra for the same ?

Travel from Interlaken to Zermatt and Zermatt to Montreux would be covered in Swiss pass ?

Zermatt and Interlaken would serve my purpose of staying in countryside (viz. green fields + mountains and not much of concrete structures) right ?

Would you recommend Golden pass, as my route will not include as I am traveling from Interlaken to Monntreux via Zermatt. If yes, anywhere i could fit into my schedule ?

Regards,

Chintan Gandhi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 15:42:14 #887354
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 5:41:59 #887355

Thanks a lot Lucas.

Can you suggest me some budget hotel / apartment options for stay in Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt and Montreux preferably close to the main stations.

Also, would you suggest to go for guided tours ? I think, here in Swiss, things are pretty straight forward and hence, going independently on excursions should not be an issue ?

Chintan Gandhi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 8:26:43 #887356

Yes, we have a webpage on the top budget hotels in Switzerland here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hotels/budget.

We also list hotel suggestions for most Swiss towns here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/wheretogo/towns. Find your town and click on the hotel tab for descriptions and pricing.

Yes, for sure, I think most people can travel Switzerland independently. Be sure to get comfortable using the Swiss railways timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 7:36:58 #887357

That’s really helpful Lucas.I am sorry for troubling you once again but one thing came to my mind and also advised by my other friends who have been here that ideal way is to stay in Interlaken for 6-7 days from where you can do the following

1. Day trip to Lucerne + Mt Pilatus

2. Jungfraoh

3. Schiltorn / Wengen / Gimmelwald / Grindewald First / Lake Bachalpsee

4. Day trip to Bern

5. Day trip to Montreux

Then 2 nights in Zermatt and 2 nights in Geneva

The above while help me avoid frequent packing and unpacking especially with my small kid.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 14:07:20 #887358

Yes, you could stay in Interlaken for those trips. Use the Swiss railways timetable to find the travel times to each mountain or town.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 11:51:30 #887359

Hi Chintan

Lucas has addressed your queries . I would suggest the following

1. You have a 2 year old kid . Suggest you have your base at 2 or at best 3 places during the trip .

2. You seem to be covering 4 mountain tops . You may want to check the advisability of exposing your child to altitude changes and weather changes . if you are looking at the mountains covered by Swiss pass fully ..Schilthorn ..and it is a good experience . Mount Titlis and Jungrauch are pretty popular with tourists from India . Both of them have adventure activities as well.

4. Zermatt is surreal and the Matterhorn is the arguably the best sight …but there si not much to do in Zermatt other than the Matterhorn . I would rather have my base in Interlaken or Grindelwald and Wengen and focus on experiences around the area ( and there are a lot of them).

Trust this helps

5. You should try the Golden Pass . It is a good experience .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 10:19:21 #887360

Thanks a lot Travelholic6 for your kind revert.

1. I believe there is an indoor place with controlled environment at Jungfraoh. Hope that should be fine for my kid.

2. Yes, i am covering, Pilatus, Jungfraoh, Glacier 3000 and Matterhorn. Anything which i can skip ? I am not very rigid with my itinerary.

3. One question, can I do Rhein falls on my own or i need a guided tour ? Would swiss pass cover my travel to Rhein ?

4.I am still confused whether i should stay in Lucerne, Interlaken and Montreux or can skip one of these ?

Regards,

Chintan Gandhi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 13:48:20 #887361

What do you mean by controlled environment Chintan?

You don’t need a guided tour for the RheinFall and you can check if these places are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass with the link from my reply on June 6 at 3:42. Use the PDF map on the link.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 5:44:28 #887362

I mean my kid can stay indoors if the outside environment is not suitable.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys… Highly appreciate. Would definitely share my experience.

Cheers !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 6:06:40 #887363

Hi Chintan

2. You could probably do Matterhorn (Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn) and Jungfrauch…In my experience they are the best of the 4 indicated by you .

4. My suggestion would be Interlaken . You could stay at Grindelwald or in Interlaken itself .

Best rgds

• The thread ‘Switzerland travel questions for August 15 – 30’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.