I am planning for a swiss trip in later August for around 12-13 nights. We are one couple and a 2 and half years old kid (30 months). Since we have a kid with us, we would prefer to avoid too much traveling or too much change in trains etc. Below is the draft itinerary -
Day 1 – Land in Zurich – Take a direct train to Lucerne – Spend the day in Lucerne (night in Lucerne)
Day 2 – Rhine Falls & Gutsch from Lucerne (night in Lucerne)
Day 3 - Mt. Pilatus from Lucerne (night in Lucerne)
Day 4 – Lucerne to Interlaken through Brienz (night in Interlaken) Day 5 – Jungfraoh (night in Interlaken)
Day 6 – Lauterbrunnen – Schiltorn / Wengen / Gimmelwald / Grindewald First / Lake Bachalpsee (night in Interlaken)
Day 7 - Interlaken to Zermatt (night in Zermatt)
Day 8 - Matterhorn (night in Zermatt)
Day 9 - Zermatt to Montreux (night in Montreux)
Day 10 –Glacier 3000 (night in Montreux)
Day 11 – Gstaad / Sight Seeing (night in Montreux)
Day 12 – Montreux to Geneva and fly out
1. Is August a good time to roam around ? Whether it would to be too hot / sunny ? Also if August would be expensive ?
2. I will have to buy a 15 day rail pass ? Considering that, if the above itinerary is too hectic, i may extend my stay by one or two days.
3. If the above itinerary is convenient or anything missing that can be covered or anything can be substituted ? I am opting for Glacier 3000 instead of Mt. Titlis
4. Travelling from Interlaken to Zermatt and Zermatt to Montreux will involve change in trains atleast two times. Any other suitable mode - eg Bus which would be time efficient as well ?
5. Since i would love to stay countryside, would Zermatt serve the purpose ?
Thanks a lot in anticipation !!
Chintan Gandhi (from India)