Switzerland from Zurich – 5 day itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 21:58:07 #812583

Hi

I am planning a trip to Switzerland end of August. I have booked my flights to and from Zurich. I will be spending 5 days there with me, my wife and 2 young kids (6 & 2 years). Can you suggest a suitable itinerary, we want to cover all scenic routes and places and stay in authentic locations. I know this may have been posted before but I would still appreciate some assistance. Should I take travel pass? Should I stay Luzern or Interlaken?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 8:36:33 #866610

Hi Srini1981 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We don’t create itineraries here, but can help you make adjustments once you have a rough idea of where you want to go and what you want to do – we can’t tell you what you will like. 🙂

To help with your itinerary planning visit the following pages on our website:

Once you have an idea of what you want to see and where you want to visit we can help you with suggestions of how long to stay in certain towns/areas. For example, we can’t tell you to stay in Luzern or Interlaken, unless we know what you want to do in those areas. Click the town links above to see what you can do nearby (click on the what to do tab) – that will help you decide which town to stay in (or both!)

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to help plan your trips around the country.

Rail passes are very popular in Switzerland – the right one for you depends on where in the country you will be visiting however.

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 8:44:39 #866611

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your response.

What we would like to do is visit Rhine Falls, Jungfrau mountain, Mt Titlis, Montreaux and also go on a scenic train ride (either Glaicer express or Choclate train). We are arriving in Zurich on a Wed late night and leaving back on a Tue early morning from Zurich.I was looking to stay Interlaken or Gimmelwald but then some of the forum topics suggested Lucern as a better base for the above.I am also not sure whether I should get the Half fare ticket or Swiss Rail Pass. Will 5 full days be enough for this, can I squeeze in anything more? Can you advise on these?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 16:20:33 #866612

Well I would look at Luzern or Interlaken for your base. I like Luzern better, but it is a 4 hour train trip from there to Jungfraujoch (one-way). Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable here to see how long the train trips are between the towns and the attraction you want to visit.

The two panoramic trains that are most accessible to you are the Golden Pass (Luzern or Interlaken to Montreux) and the Chocolate train from Montreux.

Yes, 5 days is enough to see everything you listed – be sure to click on the town links to see what else to available to you in the area. I would try to do the Golden Pass and maybe a lake cruise on Lake Luzern if you stay there.

Lucas

Fsulaw1
    Participant
    1 post
    12 July 2017 at 17:12:58 #866613

I, too, am trying to plan a 5 day trip in August of 2018 to Switzerland, starting in Zurich and ending in Basel. I would be very interested in hearing what you decide to do and where you stay if you don’t mind. I am reading your responses with great interest.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 July 2017 at 13:27:35 #866614

Welcome to MySwissAlps Fsulaw1! Please feel free to post questions of your own, in a new thread, if you have any.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 19:40:23 #866615

I have now changed my base from Interlaken to Luzern and will be staying in a studio apartment near Luzern for 4 nights. I still would like to cover Jungfrau if possible though, it’s going to be a tedious 12 hour day with 7 year old and 2 year old. Is there a way to cover it still? Other places I will be visiting includes golden train, Mt titlis, Mt Pilatus, lake Luzern and other nearby attractions. Is there anything I am missing in Luzern and is my trip to Jungfrau possible?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2017 at 5:57:48 #866616

Yes, you can visit Jungfraujoch, it will just be a long day as you mentioned – so it is up to you.
    Use the timetable link of my first post to find the exact details of each trip.

For a good list of the main activities in the Luzern area click here. Other towns you could visit on a day trip include Montreux (you will visit here if you take the Golden Pass route), Baseland Bern. You could also visit Thun and Lake Thun as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 10:51:01 #866617

Thanks.

I have now decided to buy the Summer Tell-Pass for 4 days to see all the attractions in and around Lucerne.

My question is: –

Because i am travelling from Zurich to Lucerne will Tell-Pass cover my journey. Or what is the best option to get a ticket to Lucerne.

Same for the return trip from Lucerne to Zurich – will the Tell-Pass cover my journey?

and last question, if I want to go to Rhine Falls from Zurich, will the Tell-Pass cover that?

If it doesn’t cover any of the above, is my best option to take individual tickets for these destinations.

Thanks for your help.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 July 2017 at 11:00:11 #866618

Take a look at the Tell Pass coverage map on this page http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass/validity

It does not extend to Zurich and Rheinfall.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 15:45:06 #866619

Hi Srini1981,

As you can see from Rockoyster (open the PDF) the Tell-Pass only covers part of the trip between Luzern to Zurich and none of the trip to the Rheinfall. For these trips you would need point to point tickets yes.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Switzerland from Zurich – 5 day itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.