Switzerland trip advice – 8 days with 6 year old

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 14:27:04 #816234

Hello everybody! My wife ,6 year old daughter and me are coming to Switzerland in July .Please advise if we shall take Swiss 8 Day Pass + What to do for 2 day s’ and advise if the below plan is good. we arrive at Geneva Airport and depart from Zurich Airport

Day 1. First day arrive in Bern…Visit town and Visit the Bear

Day 2. Mt Titlis Lake Lucerne cruise and Sight seeing

Day 3. Zermatt

4. Maison Cailler at Broc and Cheese Factory tour

5.Matterhorn Glacier Paradise

6.Mt Titlis

7. Walk around Interlaken

8.We leave for Zurich in the evening ..Hece walk around Bern

9.Rhine Falls

We have day 8 ,9 and 10 free …Where do you suggest we visit that will be fun for our daughter as the main reason for this trip is to make it an unforgettable experience for her. Thanks for your info again.

THANKS

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 14:47:49 #886369

Hi Sams5 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

That being said a safe bet is the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass.

So you are arriving in Geneva and heading straight to Bern? What towns are you staying at each night?

I would rearrange the travel order: MontreuxZermattInterlakenLucerne / BernZurich(Zurich is nice but not much need for it unless you want some shopping time).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 15:44:11 #886370

Thanks for the info. We are planning to stay in Bern for 7 nights and make day trips as we don’t want to carry luggage all over and waste time in checking inn and checking out . Regards

Sam

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 18:45:53 #886371

You may want to spend sometime in Grindelwald during your stay at INterlaken

On day 9/10 , you could take your child to SArgans / Mainefield and visit Heidiland ..a 2 hour detour from Zurich.

Alternately you may spend a city tour of Zurich and a visit to the Zoo and Fifa museum followed by a cruise on lake Zurich.

If you care for a feel of Italy ..you can board the EC from Zurich to lugano and take a two hour cruise around Luganno which does a Pizza /Gelato stop over at Portelleza in Italy.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    26 May 2018 at 19:01:12 #886372

Having a base sounds like a good idea. In 1989, I did a similar trip with an eight year old and a five year old.

Have you considered smaller family type accommodation in the Bern area? Perhaps close to a local station rather than the main station?

It would be good to plan a couple of much quieter days to give your child a bit of a break.

And don’t be disappointed if you’re travelling through breathtaking scenery and your child seems the least bit interested. At the same time, you’re sure to be pleasantly surprised at the unexpected things your child my comment on.

My 1989 adventure were in the days before video games and smart phones.

Enjoy your travels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 7:18:02 #886373

Bern can work as a base town but I’d be tempted to add a 2nd town for the first couple days – Montreux?

Then you can easily get to Maison Cailler at Broc and Gruyeres cheese Factory as well as Zermatt. Then head to Interlaken from Montreux on the Golden Pass route and then to Bern for your last 4/5 days or so?

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all the trips from Bern to see if they are all doable for your family each day.

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip advice – 8 days with 6 year old’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.