21 day trip – Swiss Travel Pass or regional passes

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    25 January 2018 at 7:36:16 #874570

Thx Alpenrose – planning the sequence of travel is a moving feast! I have 21 days Zurich to Zurich. We arrive there by train from Munich and leave there by plane for Australia. The challenge where to start the round trip!! My current inexperienced thinking is:

From Zurich – 30th August – take the train to Chur and stay two nights to create a free day to exhale (after 14 days travel in Germany) and have a plan free day before hopping on the Bernina Express on Saturday 1st of September. Take train then bus and end up in Lugano for four nights.

From Lugano we plan to take the Gotthard panorama express and end up in Lucerne for five nights and do day trips (eg Titilus, Stanserhorn, Pilatus, Rigi).

Then take the first part of the Golden Pass line to Interlaken and make our way up to Wengen for seven nights. Do day trips – Jungfraujoch, Thun, Brienz, etc.

Then train back to Zurich via Bern and stay 2 nights before flying to Australia on the 19th.

Is there a better way?

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    25 January 2018 at 7:40:19 #874571

As we are there for 7 nights I’d like to find an apartment.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 8:24:08 #874572

Hi BarSal,

Have you decided on the rail pass for this? I might have missed it?

You would be better off with Lucerne at the end of your trip if you split between the Swiss Travel Pass and Tell Pass…

Unless you have something specific in Chur you might enjoy two nights in St. Moritz (more to see/do).

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    25 January 2018 at 8:35:37 #874573

Thx Lucas … I was thinking of getting the 15 day flex pass as we wont travel every day. If I did that and got a Tell pass I could get a shorter flex pass because four or five days in Lucerne would be covered and because its flex it wont matter when I don’t use the flex pass? Does that make sense?

I am still not convinced I have the 21 day loop in the right order but Switzerland is 3/4 the size of Tasmania and I have to remember how short the distances are (compared with 1000s of kms between Australian cities). 🙂

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    25 January 2018 at 8:38:54 #874574

I think the appeal of Chur was there was little to do. After two weeks travel and heading into three more, I thought we’d take a quiet day! Looks like a nice hotel at the railway station – get off from Zurich, have a leisurely low key stay and then get on the Bernina Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 8:44:55 #874575

Yes, the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex can work well for you too. Just remember to order with lots of time to get it shipped to you (no E-ticket).

Yes, coming from Canada I am also shocked how quickly people can get around Switzerland and the continent in general. Many Swiss and Europeans seem to cringe at travel times over 3-4 hours in one day…odd 😉

Fair enough on Chur! Take a break 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 9:11:04 #874576

>> I am still not convinced I have the 21 day loop in the right order but Switzerland is 3/4 the size of Tasmania and I have to remember how short the distances are (compared with 1000s of kms between Australian cities). 🙂

Distances in Switzerland can be misleading when mountains come into the picture. It’s travel time, not distance, that is the key thing to consider!

Alpenrose

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    25 January 2018 at 9:30:35 #874577

Good point!! Do you think I have our Zurich to Zurich 21 days in the best order?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2018 at 9:57:52 #874578

Two thirds the size of Tasmania actually. But who’s counting. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 17:20:51 #874579

I like the route you are looking at. Whether you start in Lucerne or end there doesn’t make much difference if you are getting the Swiss Travel Pass Flex now.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 22:15:00 #874580

Hi BarSal

Should you decide after all that you want something to do while you are in Chur, can I recommend you visit Arosa? It is only one hour from Chur and the train journey is very scenic – a bit like the more famous BEX and GEX. Arosa itself would offer you a nice quiet walk in the woods – the squirrel trail – or a trip up the Weisshorn where there are 360 views (not so busy as many other summits) and an excellent restaurant.

Maggie

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    26 January 2018 at 3:30:08 #874581

Oh that sounds like a lovely idea Maggie … just the sort of day I had in mind! I shall look it up and put it on the spread sheet. Thx 🙂

You might be able to give some advice on shoes? We are travelling light – mostly on trains, for five weeks total. Shoes are heavy but the right shoes can make or break your comfort! The first three weeks of September will be in Switzerland. Lugano/ Lucerne/ Wengen

We don’t really hike (more a stroll) – we are in our 60s. Kim says it can rain at any time. I am thinking a good pair of walking shoes and some ballet flats for the evenings? There is a voice in my head saying boots … but they are so clumsy to carry!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 4:53:53 #874582

>> You might be able to give some advice on shoes? … I am thinking a good pair of walking shoes and some ballet flats for the evenings? There is a voice in my head saying boots … but they are so clumsy to carry!

While you are waiting for Maggie’s response, I’ll share a few of my own thoughts.

As for walking shoes, for maximum flexibility, waterproof shoes with a good tread are indispensible, regardless of the time of year. My personal favourite is the Scarpa Stratos GTX shoe, which is lined with Gore-Tex, has good traction, but is also suitable for everyday wear when travelling. I have worn them in Switzerland in the autumn and winter (spending all day outdoors in the snow with no problems) as well as in the tropics (Kakadu), so they are a good all-rounder shoe. I used to take separate clothing and shoes for the evenings, but never ended up wearing them (except for Christmas dinner), as I rarely go back to my accommodation before dinner. You will see a lot of people in Swiss restaurants in their hiking or sport gear! (I have also seen someone in stilettos on top of the Rigi!!)

Here is a photo of the shoes:

images.snowys.com.au/c ontent/images/thumbs/0 005067_stratos-gtx-unisex-shoe.jpeg

Alpenrose

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    26 January 2018 at 10:23:12 #874583

Thx Alpen rose! That is a fine looking shoe! I have to walk the streets of Berlin/Hamburg/Munich before I get to the Lugano/Lucerne/Wengen part. I have lightweight Gortex (fur lined) ankle boots from Germany (Ara) and some fine walking shoes by Paul Green (UK) that look more like a low cut basketball shoe.

I have thin ankles and recent ankle surgery so I thought the lace up boots might give support.

I may have to take both. In September in Switzerland .. what is the likelihood my shoes will get soaked – and, if we are doing most of the obvious mountain trip, how cold does it really get??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 0:48:38 #874584

>> In September in Switzerland .. what is the likelihood my shoes will get soaked – and, if we are doing most of the obvious mountain trip, how cold does it really get??

No guarantees on avoiding a soaking unfortunately, even in September!

I was in Wengen for almost a week at the beginning of September 2016. It was pleasantly warm and sunny, and was even quite mild on the mountain tops, but there was one cold, rainy day, when the Lauterbrunnen Valley filled with fog.

If you have suitable shoes and rainwear, you can spend time outdoors regardless (but would need to use some judgement about walking on unpaved uphill or downhill trails).

No guarantees on temperature either I’m afraid. You might find my post of Jun 19, 2017 – 6:25 AM on the following page has some useful information:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/winter-clothing-in-september

Alpenrose

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    27 January 2018 at 5:21:48 #874585

Great advice… I think the main thing I have learned about passes, itineraries and now clothes/shoes, from this forum is – keep it simple! I’ll pack like I am going to Melbourne – they get four seasons in one day. Lightweight layers with the last one being waterproof … and sturdy comfy shoes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 17:02:48 #874586

Hi Barsal

Glad you like my suggestion. We have been to Arosa twice and loved it.

Alpenrose has given you much better advice than I could about footwear! We are now in our 70’s so walkers these days rather than hikers! Personally I don’t like wearing anything too heavy to walk in as I find hiking boots too cumbersome. I have a pair of light weight walking shoes/boots that are a cross between boots and shoes! They have decent ankle support and a good tread so do the job for me! I manage with those and an even lighter pair of trainers. As for clothes it’s layers that are the key. We don’t take “smart” clothes – not really necessary. We rent an apartment for most of our stay so can do laundry. Cotton t-shirts, long-sleeved shirts – different weights for versality – hooded fleeces and a good quality waterproof. If the weather forecast is really good I just take a fold-up small waterproof instead of the big one. A sun hat and sunglasses are also part of the kit! Gloves for high altitude though I find they are a nuisance when using a camera! My camera bag is big enough to hold camera, purse, fold-up shopping bag, bottle of water, bar of chocolate and with a pocket for passport and STP and notebook with current day’s travel plan written up! It also has a waterproof cover folded up in a bottom pocket so highly useful.

Hope some of this is useful.

Maggie

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    29 January 2018 at 4:48:30 #874587

Thx Maggie … yes all useful. Hopefully this wont be our last trip and I may one day be able to give advice to others. I too am a walker, not a hiker.

The shoe Alpenrose suggested looks great. I am attempting to source a pair for my husband who does not have the treasure trove of shoes that I do. I am opting for a light weight lace up ankle boot that is comfortable and waterproof, as my main day time shoe.

I think I have exhausted my research on the different passes and while the Tell pass give a free pass to Pilatus and Titilus and the STP has 50% discount – if you take an 8 day flex pass and add a 5 day Tell pass and deduct the $350 you would save by having the Tell pass at those two sites, it works out as the same price as the 15 day flex pass and you are only getting 13 days of travel. So you are better off, IMO, to take a 15 day flex pass and use it when and wherever you want – and pay whatever excesses are needed wherever you happen to be. Zero level of complexity and if, for whatever reason, you don’t get to Titilus or Pilatus you have a free day of travel elsewhere.

Sounds like a fine camera bag you have! My husband carries a waterproof cross-body bag for the essentials you mention. Short and long sleeve Tshirts are the basis of my travel wardrobe in every climate! For the woolens I get the lightest weight possible (eg cashmere). I don’t know where you are but I know a great on line shop (in NZ) where you can get hats, gloves, scarves, socks etc in a 50% merino, 40% possum and 10% silk blend. Super warm, soft and light.

Happy travels and thanks for taking the time to help me by sharing your experience.

Sally

Viewing 18 posts - 21 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The thread ‘21 day trip – Swiss Travel Pass or regional passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.