Winter clothing in September?

• manshas
    Participant
    13 posts
    18 June 2017 at 16:42:52 #812317

Dear MySwissAlps Moderators,

As mentioned in my earlier post (http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/7-day-itinerary-lauterbrunnenlucerne), we will be in Switzerland for 6 nights in September. During our trip, we plan to visit Lauterbrunnen, go up to Schilthorn, visit the towns of Wengen and Grindelwald. Also do easy hikes between Murren and Gimmelwald and take the train up to Schynige Platte. When in Lucerne for 3 nights, we will go up to Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus.

We are coming from an equatorial climate and do not own warm/winter-type clothing. Appreciate if you could advise:

• Type of clothing we need to purchase – e.g. woollen cap, padded/fleece/waterproof jacket & gloves
    • Any special shoes
    • Generally are there any strong, cold winds in the Bernese Oberland around September

We will bring umbrellas, raincoats, sunscreen and sunglasses.

Thank you very much for your advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2017 at 22:07:13 #865373

Hi Manshas-

Here is a start:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/renting-warm-clothes

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 6:25:19 #865374

Hi manshas,

I don’t think you would need a down jacket. A fleece jacket, a lightweight wind-and-waterproof jacket, and a scarf would be useful. You might not need a cap and gloves, but as they are small and convenient to carry, I think it’s worthwhile to have them just in case.

I was on top of the Schilthorn last September, and it was very mild, even warm, and not windy. Some people were dressed in short-sleeved t-shirts and shorts. Others wore jackets. I was comfortable in a lightweight long-sleeved top and jeans.

However, you need to be ready for chilly weather at any time of the year, and the key is dressing in layers that you can put on or take off according to the conditions.

>> Any special shoes

If your only hike will be between Mürren and Gimmelwald, comfortable walking shoes would suffice.

>> Generally are there any strong, cold winds in the Bernese Oberland around September

In my experience, strong cold winds are very rare at that time of year, even at high altitudes, but you couldn’t rule them out for sure.

This information might help further:

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Winter clothing in September?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.