Winter clothing in September?

Winter clothing in September?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
13 posts
Jun 18, 2017 - 4:42 PM

Dear MySwissAlps Moderators,

As mentioned in my earlier post ( rum/topic/7-day-itinerary-lauterbrunnenlucerne), we will be in Switzerland for 6 nights in September. During our trip, we plan to visit Lauterbrunnen, go up to Schilthorn, visit the towns of Wengen and Grindelwald. Also do easy hikes between Murren and Gimmelwald and take the train up to Schynige Platte. When in Lucerne for 3 nights, we will go up to Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus.

We are coming from an equatorial climate and do not own warm/winter-type clothing. Appreciate if you could advise:

• Type of clothing we need to purchase - e.g. woollen cap, padded/fleece/waterproof jacket & gloves
  • Any special shoes
  • Generally are there any strong, cold winds in the Bernese Oberland around September

We will bring umbrellas, raincoats, sunscreen and sunglasses.

Thank you very much for your advice.

4182 posts
Jun 18, 2017 - 10:07 PM in reply to manshas
1649 posts
top member
Jun 19, 2017 - 6:25 AM in reply to manshas

Hi manshas,

I don't think you would need a down jacket. A fleece jacket, a lightweight wind-and-waterproof jacket, and a scarf would be useful. You might not need a cap and gloves, but as they are small and convenient to carry, I think it's worthwhile to have them just in case.

I was on top of the Schilthorn last September, and it was very mild, even warm, and not windy. Some people were dressed in short-sleeved t-shirts and shorts. Others wore jackets. I was comfortable in a lightweight long-sleeved top and jeans.

However, you need to be ready for chilly weather at any time of the year, and the key is dressing in layers that you can put on or take off according to the conditions.

>> Any special shoes

If your only hike will be between Mürren and Gimmelwald, comfortable walking shoes would suffice.

>> Generally are there any strong, cold winds in the Bernese Oberland around September

In my experience, strong cold winds are very rare at that time of year, even at high altitudes, but you couldn't rule them out for sure.

This information might help further: ather

More on

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

© 2002-2018