Hello MySwissAlps Forum members
We will visit Switzerland during late August - mid September 2022. I have done a lot of research regarding the different passes in Switzerland and it seems that the 4 day Tell Pass will be a much more cost worthy pass for our 4 full days in Lucerne area compared to the STP.
Our mountain excursions will be: Mt Rigi, Mt Titlis, Mt Pilatus and Bürgenstock.
All Cable Cars, Cogwheel trains, Funicular & Lift (at Bürgenstock) are "free" and included in the Tell Pass, while there are still extra fees payable with the STP for Mt Titlis, Mt Pilatus & Bürgenstock. I took the 25% discount on the STP in mind, but the Tell Pass still looks as a better option for this Lucerne area. Our accommodation for the 5 nights will be in Weggis and therefore the boats on Lake Lucerne, trains, busses in the area are part of the validity area of the Tell Pass.
1. Am I correct with this decision to go for the Tell Pass?
2. Can this Tell Pass be bought on-line during 2022 or can we buy it with arrival in Zürich or Lucerne?
We want to do the Gotthard Express as well. With the Tell Pass, the boat from Lucerne - Flüelen & the train from Flüelen - Göschenen is included in the Tell Pass. I know about the seat reservation (@ CHF 34), upgrade from 2nd class to 1st class train (@ CHF 29.50 ) and additional surcharge that are extra fees (@ CHF 16) - these are prices for 2021 - for the Gotthard Express. The Tell Pass validity map shows that train travel can be done up to Andermatt. So if we want to do the whole stretch of the Gotthard Express from Flüelen - Lugano, we have to buy extra train tickets for the Göschenen - Lugano stretch.
1. Is this last part of train travel a scenery stretch as well?
2. If we book tickets on the Gotthard Express from Göschenen - Lugano, will that mean that we have to pay a second time the extra costs as mentioned above? Will this be seen then as two separate train journeys?
3. Can we buy point to point tickets on a Regular train directly from Flüelen - Lugano (to skip the high reservation fees etc)?
4. Gotthard Express arrives Lugano at 16h45. If we have a quick dinner in Lugano, we can take a Regular train (at 19h00) back from Lugano - Küssnacht am Rigi and then Bus to Weggis. This will be then a very long day. Is something like this do-able?
5. Or will it be best only to travel up to Göschenen or Andermatt and then back to Weggis?
6. Just for extra info: we will be in Locarno for 2 days at the end of our Switzerland trip, so we will visit Bellinzano during that time. We hope to travel with Bernina Express from Chur - Tirano - Lugano (and then onward to Locarno) so we will see that part of the country on a later stage.
7. Any other ideas how to combine the above for a day excursion will be much appreciated (as long as we stay in the validity area of the Tell Pass).