Also what are the temperatures in Lauterbrunen in night time

or any app or website where I can check temperature

thanks

Sohail

• Anna
    6425 posts
    19 July 2022 at 18:51:14 #944519

Hi Sohail,

Temperatures at the top of Jungfraujoch in summer average between 0 – 10 deg C. But might feel a lot warmer when the sun is shining. It does get windy up there so be sure to wear layers and maybe a windproof jacket.

Be sure to check the weather forecast before your trip. You can find more information here (including what apps to use): http://www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast

Regards,

Anna

Sohailghori
    Participant
    29 posts
    20 July 2022 at 10:39:32 #944520

Thanks Ana

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    21 July 2022 at 0:21:13 #944521

Our experience with Lauterbrunnen a few weeks back is that it stays a bit warmer there in the valley, compared with the nearby towns in the mountains. Currently it’s 17 degrees Celsius there (63 Fahrenheit) at just after midnight; that’s probably typical of what you might experience in August. Of course, if there is another heatwave affecting the area, it could be warmer! The link Anna shared is what we used to follow the weather when we were there.

ginmat
    Participant
    5 posts
    24 July 2022 at 11:51:32 #944522

Hi Sohail,

I would agree with the other replies that you should dress in layers and have clothes for a wide range of temperatures. Check the webcams and the weather reports, but keep in mind that the weather is very changeable and because of this, it is difficult for the weather reports to predict with accuracy. I visited the Jungfraujoch in July a few years ago and the weather was very sunny and warm for the first half of the day, then changed and became cold and windy in the afternoon with some rain. I forgot to put suncream on my lips and my lips got so sunburnt that they were very swollen and red, which had never happened to me before. It took me by surprise because it didn’t feel hot enough for this to happen, so be careful and apply suncream everywhere, especially as this year is supposed to be hotter than usual. In the afternoon, it was cold enough for us to have to put our ski jackets on and was quite windy and unpleasant on our walk to the Mönchsjochhütte. We also visited the Jungfrau area July this year, though not the Jungfraujoch, and there were many days with short storms that were quite sunny in other parts of the day. We found that the weather was so changeable that we could not plan our days according to the weather reports. There were many days on which the reports said there would be storms midday (and so we decided against doing the longer hikes we had planned), only to find that the storm did not come until 5pm or on some days not at all and instead it was sunny all day.

Regards,

Virginia

Arno
    15485 posts
    24 July 2022 at 12:02:15 #944523

Thanks for your input Virginia. You’re right, Swiss weather is very changeable so it’s best to be prepared for anything. Sorry to hear you burnt your lips! Sunrays at high altitudes with lots of snow can be very intensive.

The weather you described is quite typical for warm summer days in Switzerland: clear and sunny skies in the morning, with clouds building in the course of the day and eventually rain or thunderstorms. It’s hard to predict exactly when and where such storms will take occur though.

I hope you still enjoyed most of the day trips you had planned, in spite of these forecasts!

ginmat
    Participant
    5 posts
    24 July 2022 at 15:56:13 #944524

Yes, we enjoyed many beautiful hikes in this area, with the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. We decided on our second visit that it was worth spending extra days to fit in all of the nice places and allow for the odd storm here and there and luckily for us, the few storms we had were very short ones and cleared up quickly.

Arno
    15485 posts
    25 July 2022 at 8:08:34 #944525

Happy to hear that the weather didn’t interfere with your plans too much Virginia! It sounds like you enjoyed your stay in the Jungfrau region a lot. The scenery is stunning indeed.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    28 July 2022 at 5:48:35 #944526

Hi,

Air temp drops 10 deg c per 1000 mtrs of altitude gain which should make the temp at the Jungfraujoch 20 deg c cooler than in Grindelwald, except it never is because of all the other factors that affect local temperature like levels of sunlight, wind strength, etc. Just expect it to be cold and be prepared. Confusingly, you can get really hot in the sun, but the second you step into a shadow you’ll feel the difference, which leads to a real danger – sunburn. Because of the thinner atmosphere and the light reflected by the snow you will burn much faster than in Australia and in places you wouldn’t expect it. Getting burnt inside my ears was not pleasant, and the crackling noise it made when it peeled was an experience.

• The thread ‘Temperature at Jungfraujoch mid August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11230 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.