The best Swiss Pass for 2 days Zurich & Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2015 at 9:39:28 #808217

Hello, I’m travelling with my sister from Milan to Zurich.

We’ve booked our hotel in Lucerne . We will reach Zurich at 12pm on 27th of January from Milan. We plan to take train from Zurich to Lucerne at 6pm (sightseeing in Zurich in the evening and explore Lucerne at night. On the 28th January, we plan to get up early and get up to Mount Pilatus. But, we have to take direct train from Lucerne to Zurich Airport latest by 5pm because we will flying back to London at 8.20pm. So, 5pm will be the latest time to take off from Lucerne. The problem is, we don’t know what swiss passes will suite us. We really have a short time in Switzerland but we really want to get up to Mount Pilatus. We have checked that cost from Zurich to Lucerne is EURO 25 per person and from Lucerne to Zurich airport is Euro 27 per person. Is the Swiss passes entitle us to get 50% discount for the train journey as been mention earlier? Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    28 December 2015 at 18:53:40 #847346

Hi firzanaahmad, welcome to our forum!

For such a short trip, you probably don’t need a rail pass at all. If the return trip between Zurich Airport and Lucerne and your visit to Pilatus are the only trips you intend to make, you’re best off buying regular train, bus and cable car tickets.

If you’re planning on more trips (for example a boat trip over Lake Lucerne), a Swiss Half Fare Card may suit you. It provides a 50% discount on nearly all trips. Please see our Swiss Half Fare Card page for further information. Tips on how to calculate whether you need a rail pass are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

The various passes for Switzerland and their discounts are explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses. Note that there’s no “Swiss Pass” for tourists. There used to be (hence the confusion ;-)), but it’s now called Swiss Travel Pass, and it won’t be an economical choice for your trip.

Does this help you decide?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2015 at 9:58:43 #847347

Hi, Annika.

Good day 🙂

Thank you for your respond to my post. The information really help me.

Now i understand better. I got the super saver train ticket and it really save a lot.

I understand that the tix cannot be change etc.

I did not buy the Swiss Travel Pass since I have too short time in Switzerland,

Anyway, thank you very much, really appreciates your answer. Thank you.

• The thread ‘The best Swiss Pass for 2 days Zurich & Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.