About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Timed ticket for Schynige Platte train?
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Timed ticket for Schynige Platte train?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kwindle
Kwindle
13 posts
May 26, 2022 - 3:15 PM

Hi, 4 of us are planning to drive to Wilderswil and then take the train up to Schynige Platte on June 6th. We're coming from Lucerne with a stop at the Aare Gorge on our way and are hoping to arrive around noon. We will have the Regional-Pass Berner Oberland so I know the ride is free but we'd like to prebook a specific time. Is that even possible??? I saw somewhere a link to purchasing the tickets and there were options for different rail passes but the RPBO was not one of them. Am I doing something wrong? I've read it can be busy in June and we'd rather not arrive and have to wait for the next train so I'm trying to be organized. Thanks.

Ildiko
Ildiko
1952 posts
top member &
May 26, 2022 - 5:54 PM in reply to Kwindle

Hi Kwindle,

yes, with the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland your train ticket is free to Schynige Platte. You cannot book a specific time, only a day. But I do not recommend it as if the weather is not that good or even rain you might want to skip the mountain trip.

If you would like to buy it in advance, make sure to check the weather forecast before. You can buy it at any train station, even in Lucerne.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

As you are going to drive here, in Switzerland - a few practical information for you: www.myswissalps.com/car

Last modified on May 28, 2022 - 7:18 AM by Arno
1960man
1960man
3623 posts
expert
May 27, 2022 - 12:01 AM in reply to Kwindle

The Schynige Platte railway will always be 'busy' in good weather in the summer period, but that is quite normal and has been for a century. There is no booking of seats as it is a very historic railway with bench seating in the carriages (pushed by little box shape locomotives some dating from as long ago as 1914). You will never be prevented from getting on a train on the SPB, but you may have to wait in line for your turn.

teensy
teensy
14 posts
May 27, 2022 - 1:00 PM

When we were there, the train ran every 20 minutes. We had to wait for the second train. When you get to the top the crowds disperse and you don't realize there are a lot of people there. It was well worth it. Hike around while there so you can see the views. There is one hike that takes you to a viewpoint of Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. It is also a nice place just to walk around and then have lunch with a view over the edge!

Attachments
Arno
Arno
14994 posts
expert &
May 27, 2022 - 4:17 PM in reply to teensy

Such a beautiful picture teensy, thanks for sharing!

Kwindle
Kwindle
13 posts
May 27, 2022 - 5:17 PM

Thank you all for you information. It helps!

Kim

1960man
1960man
3623 posts
expert
May 27, 2022 - 7:19 PM in reply to Kwindle

I forgot to add to my previous post the information about how mountain railways often use the 'parade' operating method. At busy times 'one service' (eg on the SPB the 11.01 from Wilderswil) can be formed of two or more trains that run one behind the other in a convoy

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022