Timed ticket for Schynige Platte train?

• Kwindle
    Participant
    13 posts
    26 May 2022 at 15:15:09 #827316

Hi, 4 of us are planning to drive to Wilderswil and then take the train up to Schynige Platte on June 6th. We’re coming from Lucerne with a stop at the Aare Gorge on our way and are hoping to arrive around noon. We will have the Regional-Pass Berner Oberland so I know the ride is free but we’d like to prebook a specific time. Is that even possible??? I saw somewhere a link to purchasing the tickets and there were options for different rail passes but the RPBO was not one of them. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve read it can be busy in June and we’d rather not arrive and have to wait for the next train so I’m trying to be organized. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2022 at 17:54:52 #942395

Hi Kwindle,

yes, with the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland your train ticket is free to Schynige Platte. You cannot book a specific time, only a day. But I do not recommend it as if the weather is not that good or even rain you might want to skip the mountain trip.

If you would like to buy it in advance, make sure to check the weather forecast before. You can buy it at any train station, even in Lucerne.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

As you are going to drive here, in Switzerland – a few practical information for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/car

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2022 at 0:01:08 #942396

The Schynige Platte railway will always be ‘busy’ in good weather in the summer period, but that is quite normal and has been for a century. There is no booking of seats as it is a very historic railway with bench seating in the carriages (pushed by little box shape locomotives some dating from as long ago as 1914). You will never be prevented from getting on a train on the SPB, but you may have to wait in line for your turn.

teensy
    Participant
    33 posts
    27 May 2022 at 13:00:30 #942397

When we were there, the train ran every 20 minutes. We had to wait for the second train. When you get to the top the crowds disperse and you don’t realize there are a lot of people there. It was well worth it. Hike around while there so you can see the views. There is one hike that takes you to a viewpoint of Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. It is also a nice place just to walk around and then have lunch with a view over the edge!

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 May 2022 at 16:17:01 #942398

Such a beautiful picture teensy, thanks for sharing!

Kwindle
    Participant
    13 posts
    27 May 2022 at 17:17:42 #942399

Thank you all for you information. It helps!

Kim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2022 at 19:19:39 #942400

I forgot to add to my previous post the information about how mountain railways often use the ‘parade’ operating method. At busy times ‘one service’ (eg on the SPB the 11.01 from Wilderswil) can be formed of two or more trains that run one behind the other in a convoy

• The thread ‘Timed ticket for Schynige Platte train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.