Train from Lucerne to Como St Giovanni

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 6:05:51 #815645

Hello! We are intending to take the train from Luzern to Como St Giovanni on 10th May 2018.

I’d like to ask whether it’s compulsory to buy train tickets from SBB (for SBB trains) or Trenitalia for this journey? Or can I buy the tickets form Luzern station right before the train ride? Are the trains usually full?

The reason I’m asking this is I am having problems purchasing my tickets via http://www.sbb.ch/en/timetabl e.html.

Hope to hear back soon! Cheers.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 May 2018 at 6:29:22 #883773

You should be fine buying the tickets in Luzern.

Como San Giovani is only a 10 minute ride beyond the Swiss border at Chiasso.

If you want to take the scenic Gotthard Panorama Express route on regular trains make sure you go via Göschenen. Or if you have the time why not do the entire GPEX? The combination boat ride/scenic train is great. Reservations are mandatory on that train.

If you take a fast EuroCity(EC) Train you will need to switch to a local train at Chiasso. Depending on what time of day you travel you may need to reserve a seat on an EC train. The SBB timetable will show how busy the train is likely to be. 3 red figures means pretty full.

Have you tried buying a ticket from Lucerne to Chiasso on-line?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 7:24:57 #883774

Hi rockyoyster!

Oh, I had no idea Chiasso could be an option. Just searched and both Chiasso and Como St Giovanni are really close together!

Actually we dare not buy tickets in advance as we might have something to do in the morning before departing. But looking at the fact that the train frequency between Lucerne and Chiasso is high, I will buy it at Lucerne Station instead. Thank you for the suggestion.

In the occupancy rate column in the SBB website, what does it mean when it says:

1. (two black figures) 2. (three red figures)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 May 2018 at 9:44:33 #883775

1. (two black figures) 2. (three red figures)

The numbers refer to 1st Class and 2nd Class. 1 – 3 black figures means not too full. 1 – 3 red figures pretty busy. 3 red means choc-a-bloc.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 12:09:42 #883776

Ok, got it! Thank you!

• The thread ‘Train from Lucerne to Como St Giovanni’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.