Train from Milan to Luzern with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2016 at 5:19:24 #809200

I have some questions about travelling in Switzerland and hope I could find my answer here.

1) We are 4 adults and planning to get the Swiss Travel Pass of 8 days (2nd class). I understand this can be purchased only 3 months before my travelling date, correct?

From Milan to Luzern (via Arth Goldau) on 18 Aug 2016

In the SBB website, when I selected this journey, I only saw the option “For reduction” as attached but no option to select Swiss Travel Pass (except the Half-fare travelcard). Am I doing the correct way to purchase the train ticket? Or is it because I have chosen direct train without any transfer in the journey?

There is a “More” icon below the “Reduction for” and “Switzerland” box, but it seems no different in price if I select this box.

I did try another option to purchase a train ticket from Milan to Arth-Goldau at regular price first, then continue my journey from Arth Goldau to Luzern by using the Swiss Travel Pass.

I realise I have to pay the same fare for travelling from,

(1) Milan – Luzern via Arth Goldau in 2nd class at CHF10 (supersaver ticket)

(2) Mialn – Arth Goldau in 2nd class at CHF10 (supersaver ticket)

2) For this leg, I can’t find the fare from Arth Goldau yet as it is not open for sale. I just want to check is the way I am buying the train ticket correct? So scare of buying the wrong train tickets and ended up lost!

Many thanks in advance for guiding me through the process. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 May 2016 at 7:26:36 #852030

Hi Ellyfong,

1) You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass anytime you want, usually at least 6-11 months before traveling. Please see here for where to buy. The easiest way is to go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. This is free delivery through e-mail. You can print the pass at home.

2) The SBB site is mainly for Swiss citizens, so that’s why they don’t list the Swiss Travel Pass, which is for tourists only. All you need is a ticket from Milan to the Swiss border (Chiasso). You can buy that from any of the websites listed here. The Swiss Travel Pass covers the rest of the trip so you don’t need anything else. Of course you can just stay seated in Chiasso.

As you live in Singapore there’s also the alternative of buying both the ticket and the pass through your local website http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ pass/swiss-travel-pass-82. There’s a promo code for a discount.

Enjoy the trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2016 at 7:57:50 #852031

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the swift reply. I just found out that I actually looking at the wrong website a while ago! (How embarrassing!)

Am trying to get the swiss travel pass and slowly settle the rest. Will be back here if I have encounter any problem again.

• The thread ‘Train from Milan to Luzern with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.