Train switches Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2016 at 20:25:09 #808462

Please. On May 18 I will be taking the train from Zurich airport to Lauterbrunnen.

The train schedule seems to suggest one train goes right through but the guide books tell me there will be several switches. Can someone tell me where I will change trains on the way to Lauterbrunnen.

And, if possible, how will I identify the trains I want? Do they have names on the front? Numbers? Are there signs in English telling me where to go? This question probably sounds stupid but I will be exhausted after flying all night and want to minimize my local thinking.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 February 2016 at 6:15:04 #848610

Hi wayne, welcome to MySwissAlps,

No worries, it’s all very easy! There are no direct trains though. All details can be found in the timetable. Please also read this page. Feel free to get back to us if there are any questions left after reading these two pages.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    22 February 2016 at 22:52:11 #848611

Here’s a detailed summary of the trip. It’s really VERY easy, even for jet-lagged visitors!

The SBB trains depart directly from the Zurich airport (“Flughafen”).When you get off the plane and clear customs, simply follow the “Bahn” signs to get to the station downstairs. Once there, buy and/or have your discount travelcard validated at any ticket window. (This is important – if you board the train without having your card validated at the window you can be subject to a 180 Euro fine.) Ask for a printed timetable for your trip to Lauterbrunnen. That way you will know which track you are coming in on and where your next train departs from. Trains connecting to Lauterbrunnen leave at least once an hour. You don’t need reservations as the trains departing from the airport are usually pretty empty. They pick up lots of passengers along on the way, many at the main train station (“Hauptbahnhof”) which is your first stop. Food and drinks are available on all long haul trains, or you can buy something to take on-board with you at one of the many markets at the Zurich airport. Tip: take the escalator up one level from the ticket windows to find a nice large supermarket where the selection is better (and the prices less) than thesmaller shops and stands in the station. The train journey to Lauterbrunnen takes about three or so hours and is beautiful, particularly the last hour when youtravel right by the lakes (it’s amazing how close the tracks are to the water,sometimes it looks like you’re floating!). Thetrip usually requires two switches: usually one at Spiez or Berne, and always at Interlaken. There are assistants at every Gleis (track) to help make sure you get on the right train. There are a couple of spots that are a bit tricky. The first tricky spot is Interlaken, where there are twostops – Interlaken West and Interlaken Ost (East). Stay on the train until you get to Ost, which is the last stop for the SBB. There you will change to the BOB train bound for Lauterbrunnen. This is the second tricky spot as the same train is also bound for Grindelwald; it stops and splits in a little place called Zweilütschinen (“Two Rivers”). One half of the train proceeds to Lauterbrunnen,where you want to go, and the other half goes to Grindelwald, where you don’t.So, you need to make sure you get on the correct end of the train in Interlaken. It is well marked and there are many assistants to help out so be sure to ask if you have any questions. They spend their entire day trying to keep tourists on the proper end of the train so don’t be shy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2016 at 23:12:56 #848612

Kim:

You clearly expended considerable energy and time doing this up for me and I appreciate it. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know. Thanks so much. And I hope to see/talk with you again on this site.

Wayne

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    22 February 2016 at 23:16:57 #848613

Hi Wayne,

I’m glad you found it helpful. I must admit it was a copy and paste job from a long document I’ve authored on the region. You can find the whole thing at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

As you may have discovered you will be in Lauterbrunnen in between seasons. The high elevation walks won’t be available (usually not until June 15) but the walks along the valley floor (Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg) and up above it (Grütschalp to Mürren) are lovely

• The thread ‘Train switches Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.